Heskett

Andymorg

Hey! I have heard a lot about the heskett plant for walleye. I heard you wade in with a crank and cast for a while and you will catch some eyes. I tried a few times with no luck. Anybody got any tips and when the best time of the year is to go? Trying to figure out how to catch some walleye from shore on the river around Bismarck.

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Now is not a good time. It’s a spring and fall bite. And a night bite. Usually start late October probably more so November. Spring April and May.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, the water is super high right now. The releases are 46K currently and are scheduled to stay high until at least through August. Until they drop to say, below 30K, it will be difficult fishing at the Heskett as their just isn't any shoreline to move around on. The water basically meets you at the bottom of the steps.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
What was said above is just right.

Very little ability to move around there right now, since the water is so high. You'd be walking in waist deep water within a couple strides from the steps, and there are plenty of things to trip over.

Plus, with long days and lots of sunlight, in relatively shallow water, there are tons of weeds. You'll be cleaning your lure after nearly every cast.

I fish the Heskett a lot, and haven't even bothered trying in about 5 weeks.

Mid September is an okay time to start trying. Best would be between Halloween and Thanksgiving.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74