Advise for rookie muskie fishing

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for any hints or tips for chasing muskie. Never fished for them before, but am going to give it a try. Is the concept similar to chasing pike? My plan is to pitch the big baits along weed edges, rock piles, points, etc. Any certain baits work better any time of year? Certain time of year / time of day better for them? I live in Fargo so planning on starting the quest in Detroit Lakes. How heavy of line should be spooled? How long and heavy of leader do you use?

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only went one evening for about two hours with a friend of a friend on the NE Canadian side of LOW. Had 6 follows between the two os us in the two hours with no strikes because apparently it was early? Anyways, it's awesome but like Dirty Mike said it isn't worth the investment to me.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
First, you need to realize you are not worthy of the musky. Should you reel one in, realize that you did not actually catch it. It chose to grace you with its presence and you should apologize to it for taking up its precious time being a glorified northern with a different color.

Next, you should know your place. Catch a 49 incher and post the picture online to boast? Stop embarrassing yourself. Nothing short of the world record should ever have its picture posted online out of reverence for the fish.

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will try to keep this in mind should one grace me with its presence!!

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
First, you need to realize you are not worthy of the musky. Should you reel one in, realize that you did not actually catch it. It chose to grace you with its presence and you should apologize to it for taking up its precious time being a glorified northern with a different color.

Next, you should know your place. Catch a 49 incher and post the picture online to boast? Stop embarrassing yourself. Nothing short of the world record should ever have its picture posted online out of reverence for the fish.

This is awesome lol. Glorified northern with a different color made me giggle.

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
Look up the Musky guide who takes you out again free if you don't get one the first day.

He works the Musky lakes around DL/Fergus/Alex.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking for any hints or tips for chasing muskie. Never fished for them before, but am going to give it a try. Is the concept similar to chasing pike? My plan is to pitch the big baits along weed edges, rock piles, points, etc. Any certain baits work better any time of year? Certain time of year / time of day better for them? I live in Fargo so planning on starting the quest in Detroit Lakes. How heavy of line should be spooled? How long and heavy of leader do you use?

Similar areas as pike, but muskies like a bit warmer water. Most of time you are fishing musky in the top 10 feet of the water column...even if fishing open water over 40 feet. Detroit is no doubt an awesome lake, but it gets so much boat traffic you're better off fishing sunrise and then coming back and fishing sunset and/or during the night.

It's best for the fish if you don't play them too much, so going heavy on the equipment is what most guys do. A longer rod in the 8 to 8 1/2 foot range lets you cast these big baits a lot easier and farther, and you don't have to bend as much during the figure 8. 80 pound braid is pretty standard with 80-120 pound fluorocarbon leaders. Stealth makes some awesome leaders that are crimped, tied and glued. 12-18 inch leaders for casting is good. If you want to work some walk-the-dog or certain jerk baits right you should still use the old solid wire leader yet.

Figure 8 on every cast, never skip it. Although not as much in Minnesota, at LOW the guides say over 50% of the fish caught are in the figure 8.

For lures to start with, make sure you get some bucktails, particularly one called the Double Cowgirl, by Musky Mayhem. This bait changed the world of musky fishing several years ago. A magnum Bulldawg by Musky Innovations is also a must-have. You will also need some sort of top-water bait with a spinning prop, such as the Joe Bucher Top Raider. For a crank style bait look at Musky Innovations Shallow Invader and a Bucher Depth Raider.

When just starting there are three colors you will want----black, black, and black.

Don't give up if you aren't successful right away. I went my first year without catching a fish. It can be a real grind sometimes when you go several weekends without catching a fish. We fish big baits for big fish, however, as I am not interested in catching a 39 inch musky. This year has been horrible for our group, and I have found myself doing more walleye. I'm just a weekend warrior, though, which makes it even that much more difficult to catch a musky.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
MuskieManiac's recommendations are all Right on! If I only had 3 lures one would be a Poe's Giant Jackpot..walking the dog... agree with the colors...Black.... Good Luck DirtyMike is right though its a disease when you get it $$$$. Just put in a new Ulterra in my Muskie boat linked to a bird just to bring be around sunken rock islands... Muskie INC is a great organization and the Second chapter is from Fargo. They have weekly fishing get togethers in the DL area, you can always learn a lot going out with someone thats done it for a while... Spend your time fishing Moon rise and sets, esp Full or New. If you find a big girl Moon rise you want to be there again same place, different lure. Heading to Leech on Friday to chase em again....

Last edited:

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
The first thing you need is good pickled fish recipes

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hire a guide. If you should find a rod that magically places the lure right where you're looking, write down the brand and model. One of those is like a shotgun that fits perfectly. I went with a guide on Leech Lake once and didn't take notes. Been kicking myself since.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69