DIY Splash Guards (wave wackers)

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been doing my research on making my own wave wackers for my tiller. Would it be easier to just buy them? Yes. Much easier. However, I am cheap and tend to think I'm handy (thanks Red Green Show). So I've narrowed it down to using lexan instead of plexi. I'm still toying with the idea of just using aluminum sheeting as well but I think I'd like to see through them.

What I'm stuck on is what to use for brackets. Either I attach directly to boat or I use some sort of aluminum or rubber piece that allows the material to slide into.

Lets go boat experts

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a good bow mount and troll forward.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go the WalleyeMaster route if I was to build some

¼” gray tinted Lexan (plexi absorbs water and warps... seen it a million times building aquarium stuff - it also is less impact resistant)
anodized aluminum sheet backing along the bottom for strength at mounting location
1/4-20 hanger bolts screwed into the transom with sealant
hand nuts to secure
rivet some rubber sheeting on the motor side

rigid_kit-1.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depending on how cheap you want to go, I saw a guy cut Semi truck tires and mounted them on the transom. He then bolted cutting board type material to the tires. The waves would make the tires flex, but they kept most of the water out. Looked like hell, but it worked. Good Luck!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I'm just going to line up a bunch of stellas from fargo to bismarck and lure guy into the garage to build them for me.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
So should I bend the aluminum to create a channel for the lexan to fit into? Drill through both to secure them?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been doing my research on making my own wave wackers for my tiller. Would it be easier to just buy them? Yes. Much easier. However, I am cheap and tend to think I'm handy (thanks Red Green Show). So I've narrowed it down to using lexan instead of plexi. I'm still toying with the idea of just using aluminum sheeting as well but I think I'd like to see through them.

What I'm stuck on is what to use for brackets. Either I attach directly to boat or I use some sort of aluminum or rubber piece that allows the material to slide into.

Lets go boat experts

Just go buy some, for cripes sake.

Between the time you spend making them, and the amount of cash you could have made cracking backs in that same amount of time. Just go pick some up and call it good when you are way cash ahead.

Its like trying to make your own toilet paper, shit just go buy some. Some guy out there already did all the shit work and is willing to handle it for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quit encouraging him.
Not everyone has the lab and resources to fiddle with this kind of stuff like
#guywithlotsofmoneyandtimetodocrazylittletasks

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just go buy some, for cripes sake.

Between the time you spend making them, and the amount of cash you could have made cracking backs in that same amount of time. Just go pick some up and call it good when you are way cash ahead.

Its like trying to make your own toilet paper, shit just go buy some. Some guy out there already did all the shit work and is willing to handle it for you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quit encouraging him.
Not everyone has the lab and resources to fiddle with this kind of stuff like
#guywithlotsofmoneyandtimetodocrazylittletasks

The satisfaction of making something yourself is sometimes better than the intended use of the final product.....juan.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The satisfaction of making something yourself is sometimes better than the intended use of the final product.....juan.

agree'd

However I also find a lot of satisfaction in someone else handling the details, makes me feel all important and better than I really am.

I once convinced a guy to take my kids for breakfast and then fishing, I felt like king johnr bossing my peasants around.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74