Setting Decoys

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Do you guys have go-to tactics for your spread? For geese, I generally do a U shape that flares out a bit like a V on the ends. Landing zone in center, with birds landing into the wind.

I usually dig my blind into the ground a bit if the ground is soft.

Still trying to master calling.

What tactics do you guys use for decoying both ducks and geese? Teach me, oh wise folk.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use the U spread most of the time but have had good luck with a J also. I never dig my blind in. I have had more than one farmer ;;;;;;; about hitting holes from previous hunters digging down. I'm not good at calling but for some reason the birds still come in.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not to blow my own horn buy I am the best caller in my blind

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Anyone try the dohnut setup on calm days? Or just setup the U facing the direction they will be coming from?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
generally do the U shape but on calm days I use a straight line with wings going down wind of the rest of the spread. Brush blinds good. Generally go to the field after dark and fill a decoy bag or 2 with stubble from the edges of the field so I don't have to take it from around the area on my decoys. Not the best caller in the world but good enough to get their attention and keep them committed most of the time.

Use the same setup for ducks but use robo ducks too.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
In all my time scouting geese, I've never ONCE seen the geese in the shape of any letter while out in the field. I ALWAYS set my decoys out in the exact shape the geese had the night before. If the geese are feeding in the valley between two fields, that's where I put the deks. Most of the time, the geese are in a nebulous nondescript blob or at most a loose line that's perpendicular to the wind. That's how I set my deks. Unless they are sitting right in the wind rows of a grain field, then I set the deks in the wind rows. I've seen geese feeding in straight lines right down the tractor tire marks in a field on several occasions and that's how I set up the next morning. I got some funny looks from the guy hunting with me, but the looks turned to smiles when the geese started to fall. I'm also BIG into concealing the blinds. I learned that little tip the hard way. The number of blinds dictates where I set them up. Most of the time it's just two or three of us. Then I space them evenly from end to end.....usually. However, there is NOTHING usual about chasing them goofy geese. They always come up with something to make it interesting.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
In all my time scouting geese, I've never ONCE seen the geese in the shape of any letter while out in the field. I ALWAYS set my decoys out in the exact shape the geese had the night before. If the geese are feeding in the valley between two fields, that's where I put the deks. Most of the time, the geese are in a nebulous nondescript blob or at most a loose line that's perpendicular to the wind. That's how I set my deks. Unless they are sitting right in the wind rows of a grain field, then I set the deks in the wind rows. I've seen geese feeding in straight lines right down the tractor tire marks in a field on several occasions and that's how I set up the next morning. I got some funny looks from the guy hunting with me, but the looks turned to smiles when the geese started to fall. I'm also BIG into concealing the blinds. I learned that little tip the hard way. The number of blinds dictates where I set them up. Most of the time it's just two or three of us. Then I space them evenly from end to end.....usually. However, there is NOTHING usual about chasing them goofy geese. They always come up with something to make it interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Your tractor tire comment and blind concealment is spot on! :;:thumbsup

Last edited:

tcb68

Founding Member
Founding Member
So where in the spread is the best place for the blinds? It is usually just me and my 2 boys so I like to keep them close together if possible.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member

This is the same approach I use unless there's a real huge wind change from one day to the next.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
So where in the spread is the best place for the blinds? It is usually just me and my 2 boys so I like to keep them close together if possible.

I usually put them towards the front of where I think they will set wings and glide in at, but not out front ... in the deks a bit.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator

I also, always set them deks right where I seen the geese while scouting. I will pay more attention to how they are formed up. Gotten lazy with my U shape I think.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member

If it were me, I'd put all three blinds side by side. That way you are in a real good position to teach them youngsters how to hunt geese and why you do what you do...when you do it. Teach them to call geese by coaching them during the real deal. Those are the gems of life that stick with a guy when your in your golden years and just have the memories. Good Luck!!!

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
early season,smaller spreads in small family groups,6-8 dekes in each family group for honkers.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69