Rock Pigeons

drayweb

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was walking some Plots by an abandoned farmstead for pheasants this weekend and came across some old grain silos. There must have been about a hundred pigeons that flew out of them. Was wondering if anyone on here has ever tried eating one of these birds. I've heard they taste just like morning doves if they're grain fed. The ones in the cities eat garbage so they carry disease.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I once considered it, until I saw the filth they live in inside those old bins. The horror.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep! Eaten quite a few over the years, but you're correct on leaving the urban variety alone. Farmyard or country "Pigeons" are just fine. Breast'em out, wrap in bacon, put'em on the grill. Not thing one wrong with them. They are a dove just like the mourning, white wing, and collared doves you chase. They do have a darker meat though, so plan for that when you go to cook'em. Overdo it and you have boot leather. Med rare is the way to go. BTW a good bottle of Merlot wine and a dish of dirty rice to go with the main course doesn't suck.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not aware of any contaminant that builds up in the breast tissue of birds where it would be enough to be a concern... urban or rural. Especially "big cities" in North Dakota. In my career as an "environmental chemist" I've never come across a presentation or paper that documents such a contaminant.

Numerous peer-reviewed studies of contaminants suggest any concerns are unfounded. Probably stemming from a "filth phobia" that is generally a useful innate fear. A fear that is probably ancient in origins - when not cooking/handling properly combined with poor hygiene (poop on your meat) killed or sickened those who didn't pay attention to "filth phobia".

It's not like pigeons eat poop/chemicals guys... they eat grains, fruit, and maybe an invertebrate now and then. And maybe some bread, french fries, popcorn or something they MIGHT stumble upon occasionally in the big cities of ND.

You pigeon loathers look a little like cavemen - "ugh... bird poop bad... pigeon bad... me no eat pigeon".

MAYBE "pigeon liver bad in Bangladesh or some horrible place..." but not breast meat.

Exhibit A:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1022.2734&rep=rep1&type=pdf

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
There you go using science again.........TROGLODYTE!!!!!

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your reasoning is sound, and I completely agree about the food safety. I should've said, though pigeons are just a big Columbiform, and are likely delicious, I've seen how they live and choose not to eat them. It's a situational grossness for me. I love to hunt and eat wild turkey, but I would rather not shoot one off the manure pile at the local feed lot.

Dray, have at em. There's a bunch of vids on YouTube of guys hunting them in fields with layout blinds and full body dekes. Looks fun as hell

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Your reasoning is sound, and I completely agree about the food safety. I should've said, though pigeons are just a big Columbiform, and are likely delicious, I've seen how they live and choose not to eat them. It's a situational grossness for me. I love to hunt and eat wild turkey, but I would rather not shoot one off the manure pile at the local feed lot.

Dray, have at em. There's a bunch of vids on YouTube of guys hunting them in fields with layout blinds and full body dekes. Looks fun as hell

I have the same thoughts about ducks and geese coming from the "poopy ponds" outside of towns. My thoughts are that pellets push feathers and whatever is on them into the breast meat and then these same pellets poke holes in the digestive tract on their way though the body, thereby allowing the gut contents to leak into the meat. Yes the liver cleans the toxins out of the blood, but doesn't do much for direct contamination via pellet holes. Just my thoughts about urban critters taken with scatterguns. Urban deer taken with arrows-bullets are a different matter. Single entry/exit that SHOULD be in front of the guts. If not, same concerns apply. That said, if the critters are properly cleaned and prepared, I see no real reason to not consume that which is taken in an urban setting.

Last edited:

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Remember that bin for next year and go back when the young ones are just about fledglings. Get yourself a couple squab dinners.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
CarlWeathers.jpg

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think the big cage barns where they raise chickens/turkeys is as nasty as it gets with regard to ruining one's appetite.

I'd rather dine on a turkey that's been picking oats out of cow patties in the feedlot or the prairie than a big ag turkey living in turkey hell for its short life.

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not aware of any contaminant that builds up in the breast tissue of birds where it would be enough to be a concern... urban or rural. Especially "big cities" in North Dakota. In my career as an "environmental chemist" I've never come across a presentation or paper that documents such a contaminant.

Numerous peer-reviewed studies of contaminants suggest any concerns are unfounded. Probably stemming from a "filth phobia" that is generally a useful innate fear. A fear that is probably ancient in origins - when not cooking/handling properly combined with poor hygiene (poop on your meat) killed or sickened those who didn't pay attention to "filth phobia".

It's not like pigeons eat poop/chemicals guys... they eat grains, fruit, and maybe an invertebrate now and then. And maybe some bread, french fries, popcorn or something they MIGHT stumble upon occasionally in the big cities of ND.

You pigeon loathers look a little like cavemen - "ugh... bird poop bad... pigeon bad... me no eat pigeon".

MAYBE "pigeon liver bad in Bangladesh or some horrible place..." but not breast meat.

Exhibit A:
http://citeseerx.ist.psu.edu/viewdoc/download?doi=10.1.1.1022.2734&rep=rep1&type=pdf

This is probably the most intelligent thing I'll read all day today. Thank you!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member

I hope you're referring to the paper... because as I re-read it now the grammar is semi-tarded. (happens a lot when I edit too much) ;:;rofl

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hope you're referring to the paper... because as I re-read it now the grammar is semi-tarded. (happens a lot when I edit too much) ;:;rofl

I only skimmed the abstract for information. Only because it had words that I don't understand. Then I came back and re-read your post...the grammar errors aren't an issue for someone who doesn't edit...at all! Never seem um! You sound learned and you even include a cited reference...I'll vote for you if you run for president!

You get an A+

I've actually thought about this myself. I seem to be on a "what can I kill and eat" adventure right now.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep! Eaten quite a few over the years, but you're correct on leaving the urban variety alone. Farmyard or country "Pigeons" are just fine. Breast'em out, wrap in bacon, put'em on the grill. Not thing one wrong with them. They are a dove just like the mourning, white wing, and collared doves you chase. They do have a darker meat though, so plan for that when you go to cook'em. Overdo it and you have boot leather. Med rare is the way to go. BTW a good bottle of Merlot wine and a dish of dirty rice to go with the main course doesn't suck.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
glad I could help

trust me - the nation does not want guywhoisntdecisive as President

- - - Updated - - -

ha ha ha... that was a great movie

riverview

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have eaten pigeons a lot like doves, has anybody else noticed with all the old grain elevators disappearing the pigeons seem to be becoming field birds.

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member

consider making a trip to your local library . . . : )
and get off of Facebook and the like . . .

- - - Updated - - -

I only skimmed the abstract for information. Only because it had words that I don't understand. Then I came back and re-read your post...the grammar errors aren't an issue for someone who doesn't edit...at all! Never seem um! You sound learned and you even include a cited reference...I'll vote for you if you run for president!

You get an A+

I've actually thought about this myself. I seem to be on a "what can I kill and eat" adventure right now.

if it makes senses, he obviously wouldn't fit in as a politician
theirs is always a bunch of mumbo jumbo

that being said, he has my vote
#guywhofishes2020
Make NDA great(er)! MNG

(caps lock key doesn't work all the time . . ..)

Write in #guywhofishes in 2020!!!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85