What kind of fish are these?

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
These fish were caught at the Sakakawea tailrace on Friday. Obviously trout but what kind are they?

trout1.jpg

trout2.jpg
trout3.jpg

Last edited:

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both are rainbow? They look so different when held side by side

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member
gorgeous spots on the one! Chunky fish! Well done

- - - Updated - - -

I am pretty curious what you thought they were though. Lol

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also, look at the difference in teeth:

trout4.jpg
trout5.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

We thought one was a rainbow and one maybe a cutthroat but the cutthroat doesn't have the distinctive red marking. So maybe a cutbow trout which is a cross of the two

- - - Updated - - -

They were caught on jigs and minnow. Had three others on but got away at the boat.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy crap, that's awesome! They do both look like rainbows to me, maybe they are from different stock, or in different life stages. Trout can be extremely variable in color/pattern

Last edited:

NPO_Aaron

Founding Member
Founding Member
"One of best ways to distinguish the sex of a trout is to examine the mouth. Female trout all have a short rounded nose or upper jaw, while male trout have a more elongated snout. If your trout has a lower jaw with a kype, it’s a male for sure. Although the mouth of a female trout will grow larger as it ages and increases in size, the mouth will never grow a kype (hooked lower jaw). Upon becoming sexually mature, male trout will begin to grow a pronounced kype. At first, it will just be a tell-tale sign, but as a male trout ages, its kype will become more pronounced"

Maybe one of each sex?

Maverick

Statement recanted Both rainbows!! Browns have little to almost no spots on the tail and this one has spots all over the tail (common trait from rainbows). I have caught many there before and they taste like crap! They have a muddy taste to them i can never get out when I try to cook them.
trout.JPG

Last edited:

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
Interesting answers. I've asked a number of people and can't get a definitive answer but most say they are both rainbow. I just didn't know that rainbows could look so different.

I've never liked the taste of trout or salmon caught in North Dakota and so I'll smoke them. However salmon from the ocean are my favorite fish to eat, raw of course.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Both rainbows, bleed em and put on ice, or fillet them while they're still alive. Their meat breaks down as soon as they die, so you either have to get the blood out or get em filleted quick and on ice, otherwise the meat gets mushy n gross tasting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77