Garrison Tailrace

Roscoe

Has anyone ever fished the tailrace this time of the year and caught anything? I'm getting a little stir crazy and thought there might be a bit of open water over there to check out.

Casey Buchholz

Founding Member
Founding Member
It gets fished this time of year and depending on the day it can be pretty good. Releases, weather, and the moon phase can make all the difference.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the releases are around 24,000 right now

That's not terrible. The level would be about average, I'd guess.

I've caught fish this time of year, both in a boat, and from shore. It can be a fickle fishery, even at the best of times.

If you're hankering to do some casting from shore, the west side is far more accessible. Down at the actual water level, there's enough ice in the rocks (and sometimes snow, on the ice) to make a nice flat place to stand upon.

I think I would consider wearing a lifejacket though. You fall in, and between the heavy clothing, and the icy water, you got about 10 seconds to get out. After that, you may stop caring.

Roscoe

It will most likely be a shoreline trip. I don’t think I want to drag the boat out of storage quite yet. Is there anything that works better down there this time of year or does the fishing style stay about the same all year?

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
The go-to has to be a jig and fluke. jig and zoom. Something that resembles smelt. Perhaps the most used presentation would be a 1/4 ounce of so jig, and 3 or 4" white shad type plastic. Cast out upstream and retrieve as slowly as possible, to keep it out of the rocks.

Otherwise, the original rapalas work too. After dark (or before light) they work in inches of water, RIGHT by shore.

If you see a paddlefish go by, just do yourself a favor and stop fishing. If you snag it, you will get spooled and lose your gear.

One other thing, if you take a boat, when you pull it out of the water, stop and let it drain right away, rather than dragging all that water up the ramp. It freezes instantly, and ruins the experience for the next guy. There is usually a pile of sand at the top of the ramp. Bring a shovel and toss a few scoops down the ramp. It helps.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
It will most likely be a shoreline trip. I don’t think I want to drag the boat out of storage quite yet. Is there anything that works better down there this time of year or does the fishing style stay about the same all year?

Also, I kinda enjoy shorefishing the east rocks moreso than the west rocks, but the west ones are far easier to access. The east ones ARE a lot better, now that you can drive up quite a bit closer...

Skeeter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to throat punch guys when I see them load their boat up and drive up the ramp without letting it drain. It takes little time and will make it much easier for the next guys.

701Rounder

I dont fish the tailrace, at all. Been out 1 time many moons ago. Buddy wants to go this week, says we should anchor up in the chutes? Seems....retarded? Are the releases rippin right now?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
I dont fish the tailrace, at all. Been out 1 time many moons ago. Buddy wants to go this week, says we should anchor up in the chutes? Seems....retarded? Are the releases rippin right now?

I once witnessed the owner of a tackle shop refuse to sell an anchor to a guy after he said he wanted to anchor in the chutes. I'd call it a real bad idea

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member

Scenarios of anchoring in the chutes:

1. Worst case: You anchor out the side or the back and swamp your boat and die.
2. Next worse: You anchor out the front and are ok until a boat wake swamps you and you die.
3. Next: You anchor out the front and survive while pissing everybody off that is drifting the chutes like a sane/normal person. Afterwards, you have about a 90% chance of sticking the anchor and having to cut the rope. Now you get to piss everybody off that drifts the chutes again by leaving a cut off anchor rope to snag thousands of dollars worth of tackle.

Have fun.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
BAD IDEa! Just a few years ago, three guys did that in the tailrace, sunk their boat, and luckily all made it out alive to fish another day.

- - - Updated - - -

Scenarios of anchoring in the chutes:

1. Worst case: You anchor out the side or the back and swamp your boat and die.
2. Next worse: You anchor out the front and are ok until a boat wake swamps you and you die.
3. Next: You anchor out the front and survive while pissing everybody off that is drifting the chutes like a sane/normal person. Afterwards, you have about a 90% chance of sticking the anchor and having to cut the rope. Now you get to piss everybody off that drifts the chutes again by leaving a cut off anchor rope to snag thousands of dollars worth of tackle.

Have fun.

Its hard to fully imagine the amount of tackle and fishing line that has been lost in the tailrace.

Last edited:

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member

Pm me your buddies name. Ill make sure to head over right now and slash tires and put sugar in his fuel. He can thank me later for saving his life.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anytime of the year is a bad time for a swim in the chutes.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the chutes drift 3 ways with either a Husky jerk crank bait or a plain hook and some sort of plastic on it. You can anchor, starting in the honey hole at the ramp and going down river. 1st and 2nd coal veins, the stumps, etc.. Just make sure you let out enough rope and use a heavy enough anchor for the size boat you have as you can still drift down river and get it stuck under a tree or rock.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76