Antelope scouting trip

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
well we went out west this weekend to scout for Antelope,between 4A and 3B we put on 740 miles trying to decide which unit to apply for, We saw quite a few Antelope in 4A ,not near as many in 3B. Now I know there is no way to see what there is for numbers out there driving in a truck. But this makes me wonder if there is numbers out there to justify the amount of tags G&F is giving out. If i'm correct 199 out of 250 tags were filled last year in 4A and this year another 250 tags available again this year. And how do the land owners feel about a Antelope season is it to soon

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you saw quite a few driving around Im guessing they saw "quite a few more" from the air. I dont think they would open a season if they didnt feel there were adequate numbers. Plus one fall ice storm could wipe out way more than the hunting season will. Impossible to "stockpile" antelope in our climate. I am glad they are having a season, even though it is limited.

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year in unit 4A there was an overload of antelope bucks. They were like fleas and they were all good sized. I think NDGF is doing a good job with their approach.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last year in unit 4A there was an overload of antelope bucks. They were like fleas and they were all good sized. I think NDGF is doing a good job with their approach.

As much as I thoroughly enjoy bashing the G&F for poor surveillance and big game management, I completely agree with this post. In this case, they are doing a fine job of managing the resource.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see a nice group, with a big buck on the Mandaree road every weekend, and in other spots periodically. This is quite far from the southern territory.
I see more goats than deer so far this summer

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
Do the people you went scouting with have a whole bunch of preference points? Who many is "Quite a few" antelope in 4A?

well we went out west this weekend to scout for Antelope,between 4A and 3B we put on 740 miles trying to decide which unit to apply for, We saw quite a few Antelope in 4A ,not near as many in 3B. Now I know there is no way to see what there is for numbers out there driving in a truck. But this makes me wonder if there is numbers out there to justify the amount of tags G&F is giving out. If i'm correct 199 out of 250 tags were filled last year in 4A and this year another 250 tags available again this year. And how do the land owners feel about a Antelope season is it to soon

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
there was two of us that went we saw maybe 30 different groups in 4A, like I said I know we could never see them all from the truck. we did see more from the main roads then we did when we were back in the little trails. We are both sitting a 5 pts and there is a good chance we won't even draw. But it was fun for us. and the money I got from coyotes last year paid the trip. Makes me wonder what we could do if we were good at hunting coyotes.

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's awesome Radar! I enjoy antelope scouting almost as much as hunting them. I like that area down there!

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I could easily scout for a week. thank god I had my traxx chip we would have been lost a few times it was great. When I saw them Antelope first thing that came to my mind was that they looked delicious

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77