ozonics

grizzlyrider

Founding Member
Founding Member
What are your thoughts on the ozonics device? I work with a couple guys that speak very highly of them. I'm just having a tough time coughing up that kind of money for one.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's my thoughts on it. A bunch of money for another fairly large piece of equipment to haul to the stand when I'm gonna hunt the wind anyway.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member

I gotta agree. Not saying they dont/wont work, but seems like a lot of money to spend. Unfortunately, wormwood (noxious weed) is common where I hunt, so I have a free supply of scent control that works very well!

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used ozonics for an entire bow season. When deer were downwind they smelled me. It may help to mask some scent possibly but not completely. If there is high humidity or damp grass i dont think there is anything that will fool a deers wet nose.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haven't used ozonics myself but had a buddy that bought one and used it a few times and took it back right away. Enough to not make me buy one.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
If using it will give you confidence to stay in the stand longer, use it. Time on stand is probably the single most important factor when looking for a good buck IMO. I see lots of pics of really nice bucks during daylight hours, but the guy wasn't in the stand due to work or whatever. Tough to kill a buck when you're not there...............when he is.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe that the technology, or science if you will, is proven. However in a deer hunting, (especially treestand) application I am not sold that it is worth the effort and $$. I am going off the assumption or theory that the ozone has to come it contact with the scent particles to kill them. I just don't see how this is possible in open air. With the wind and thermals I just don't see the unit kicking out enough gas to completely surround you.

Now if you hotbox a ground blind with ozone I could see it being much more effective. You are in a more controlled environment. HOWEVER, do some reading on Ozone and the issues it can cause when inhaled. The same science that makes it effective in killing scent makes it very harmful to animals or humans. It is a pollutant and damages living cells. Do you want to be inhaling that?

So bottom line, is the more effective it is in surrounding you and killing your scent, the more effective it is in damaging your mouth, noise, throat, eyes, lungs, etc.

I guess a guy could always get a full face respirator.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used ozonics in various ground blinds for an entire bow season. The smell of ozonics made me cough and deer downwind smelled me.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good posts. Was on the fence but seems not worth it, especially when hauling into public land and hauling everything back out each night. Not convinced its worth the weight.

Skeeter Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well worth the money if you hunt from a ground blind in my opinion. When all the does came straight to the bait, this buck circled downwind around my blind and came in. He didn't smell a thing. 008.jpg
Even weary does would peg movement in the blind would not smell us downwind. Had does come downwind side of the blind and lick the material on the blind. Don't get me wrong, I have been winded on windier days but if you can keep most of your scent in the blind long enough for the ozone to do its job its worth its weight in gold to me.

Ndranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Zoo ice

Doubt if you wish. And they are certainly not perfect. But I won't go to my tree without it. Had a few does down wind of me opening night last year. I would not have shot my 140+ buck. Without it.

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
Can't say I agree with the epa on many things, but Ill include this link just for some reading material. Everyone certainly can make there own decision, its probably less harmful than smoking, but I would think twice about using when young children are in the blind.

http://www.epa.gov/apti/ozonehealth/population.html

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Would ozonics fool a drug dog? I dont think so... And a deers nose is much more sensitive than a drug dog.

Warvin

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is not really what you believe it is the fact that a deer has more scent receptors than any dog, even a bloodhound.

The biggest bloodhound I know is Big J. He can sniff out a case of Busch Light a mile away. Not to mention big bullheads.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 116
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69