Permanent fish house versus boat

Fish whisperer

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I recently bought a permanent fish house and made the decision to sell my boat, for several reasons. Mainly I can't financially justify having both toys, my kids prefer ice fishing more than boat fishing and summers seem so busy with projects and family activities. So my question is if you had the option of only one (the fish house or the boat), which would you pick?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's funny, I prefer hardwater, but have tens of thousands more invested in summer fishing. Owning a boat, camper, long rods, locators, 5 times the tackle for open water, and a few little rods a 25 yr old auger a little fish tent and an old vexilar for hardwater.
Mrs johnr needs to get a night job so my winter fishing can catch up

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My truck can work as a permanent fish house, but they haven't made an outboard that can get my truck on plane. Boat for this cat.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have to go with a boat. I don't like to sit on one spot when ice fishing. Not very often I even set up the house anymore unless it is really cold and windy or a good perch bite.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I'd have to go with the house...no the boat. How about an icehouseboat that does it all!!! Million dollar idea!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I'd have to go with the house...no the boat. How about an icehouseboat that does it all!!! Million dollar idea!

Just strap a 350HP outboard onto a Snowbear.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Winters are for home projects and open water season is for fishing. Suppose that's why my yard always looks like hell. Boat for this guy. Turned the fish house into a playhouse for the kids.

Farmer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damn, that's like asking wich one of your kids you would throw the only life preserver to!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boat for sure. I enjoy ice fishing probably more than most, but I hate having to set up the permanent or portable, and then move, or don't move and don't catch fish. That and now I'm too damn busy in the winter.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmmm like the boat and open water. Want a permanent for hard water and camping in the summer. How many guys use them for both?
if I pick one it always has been and will continue to be the boat.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to ice fish, but everything about the summer months are so much better....the temps, the green of the grass and the trees, wearing shorts and sandals, drinking a super cold beer on a hot day out of the Yeti Colster--I'll take the boat any day over the ice house!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess after reading MM post I would have to agree with him. Plus mrs johnr will go in the boat, she will not sit on the frozen lake, ever since that wedding ring was placed on her finger. Somehow liked it just fine prior...haha.

Joe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unless you can get a permanent on top of fish on your first try, I'll always go with a boat. Fifteen minutes from when I decide to go fishing, I have a rod in the water with a boat. Even if I don't move the permanent, it takes an hour to get set up.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hmmmm like the boat and open water. Want a permanent for hard water and camping in the summer. How many guys use them for both?
if I pick one it always has been and will continue to be the boat.
definitely use for both as I put an air conditioner on mine . As for ice fishing it is more of a home base . great to have the lake to yourself at night . Hell the best thing we ever caught off the bottom of the lake was a bottle of homemade schnapps ! Ehh kdm ?

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you get a snowy winter, that permanent fish house is nothing but a big paper weight. Boat.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
definitely use for both as I put an air conditioner on mine . As for ice fishing it is more of a home base . great to have the lake to yourself at night . Hell the best thing we ever caught off the bottom of the lake was a bottle of homemade schnapps ! Ehh kdm ?

Good Times!!! From what I can remember! LOL!!!

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boat. More months out of the year where you can use a boat than an ice house.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do not own a permanent style house but would love a small lightweight one for fishing the wind or crappies. That being said, i would vote boat over permanent shack since u can easily fish in the cold with a low cost portable fishhouse.

Rustywaterdogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go with fish house. I like ice fishing more and it only takes me a couple min. to set up or move. I actually think I can move my wheel house almost as fast as my flip over.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 121
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71