Canned deer meat recipes

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty simple . Fill pint or quart jars with pure red meat to 1 inch from top of clean jar . Don't add any liquid. 1 teaspoon beef bullion for a quart , 1/2for a pint . Put new seals and ring on and cook at 12 lbs pressure for 90 minutes . Take out after pressure drops , let cool and enjoy . Like I said don't add extra liquid or your jars may explode . There will be plenty of liquid from the meat .

Last edited:

Happycamper

Honored Member
Kurt Schirado Cut venison in 1 inch chunks
Add a teaspoon of salt and pepper, one beef bouillon cube, A garlic clove atbottom of jar. Stack meat on top of it. Add 1 inch of cut beef tallow on top ofthe venison. Be sure to leave about 1 inch of empty space to the top of thejar. Pressure cook quarts for an hour and 30 minutes and pints for an hour and15 minutes at 11 pounds of pressure.
Let sit for 6 weeks before eating

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I do mine I just put some salt onions and garlic in and call it good. I dont measure anything just do it off of feel. I don't remember the times and pressure off the top of my head.

JMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
We dont add anything but a little salt to ours so we can season it later depending on what we use it for. 11 pounds of pressure for 90 minutes.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep in mind that it has a fairly short shelf life . Like about 2 years. We made a bunch one year and didn't get it used up and ended up having to throw some out. If I remember right the headspace turned white and we didn't dare use it.

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do lots of meat, from venison to duck to pheasant. I put nothing in, but pack the jars full, then cook at 10 pounds for 90 minutes. When you take out to eat you can add whatever seasonings you like on that day. Only problem I ever had is with Pike but I did not do it long enough then the bones were not soft.

muzzyhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mines pretty simple too,2 teaspoons Lawry's seasoning salt per pint,1"cubes with some space at the top,pressure cooked at 10 lbs for 90 min.For pike add vinegar,mine is 10 at 90 also never bones,few more ingredients but not many,

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
A whole bouillon cube per jar? Sweet jesus. Why even bother with wild game. Domestic meat is much cheaper. If you hate the flavor of wild meat that much, probably ought to sell your guns

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
kurts recipe above with tallow has me confused... why?

Ditto! Tallow has never been palatable to me under any circumstances. Cant imagine this being any different, although perhaps the pressure canning process does something to it? I still see it making the meat greasy at the very least though, but maybe not.

- - - Updated - - -

A whole bouillon cube per jar? Sweet jesus. Why even bother with wild game. Domestic meat is much cheaper. If you hate the flavor of wild meat that much, probably ought to sell your guns

I agree, a whole bouillon cube PLUS a tsp salt seems a bit much. When I have canned venison, I have just chunked up the meat, added a pinch of salt and pepper, can for 90 min at 10 lbs and it turns out fantastic. As mentioned, do not add any additional liquid.

Last edited:

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than fish, I’ve never heard one person in my life talk about canning red meat. I take that as it must not be that great, otherwise more people would do it. What’s with that?

- - - Updated - - -

“Hey, lets grill venison steaks.”

“Na, I’d rather have canned meat instead.”

ha

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Other than fish, I’ve never heard one person in my life talk about canning red meat. I take that as it must not be that great, otherwise more people would do it. What’s with that?

It's a lost art I think to be honest. My grandparents and their relatives and friends canned meat a lot. Its shelf stable, very good to eat, and an easy way to prepare a meal when unexpected company shows up (which happened a lot back then). I think its fantastic.

And you dont can backstrap lol. Trim meat works really well. Any silver skin or tendon dissolves.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

ha

My guess that meat was canned and dried before refrigeration was available ... that would be before rural electrification was done. Storage on ice in sawdust will only keep it cold, not frozen.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Even using pure red meat , no liquid you'll be amazed how much white tallow will be floating in jar after it cools . I started canning meat and trout back in the 80's when I was living in camper in the Black Hills . No electricity so no fridge or freezer . Northern Pike is really good canned too . With the trout I put in either a little ketchup or mustard . Turned out like canned salmon just not as strong tasting. Pike is great , just add a little cream cheese and chopped onion after canned .

Last edited:

★ Legendary Member

- - - Updated - - -

ha

Sounds like you need some new friends. I'm sure they only drink their Busch light from a glass as well. ;:;rofl

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 99
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 62