The last dance

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just got done binge watching the first 8 episodes of The Last Dance really brings back memories of when basketball was a real team sport and exceptional rivalries. MJ was a God on that BB court and kept his thoughts focused on what was important to win no matter who was guarding him. Shooting free throws with your eyes closed get out of here with that crap

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
BB now days is totally unwatchable for me. No defense played at all. Just hoist 3 pointers or dunk it. Lebron James the greatest? Give me a break. MJ is the GOAT.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep can’t wait for Sunday. Jordan was the reason I would set up shop lights at night in the drive way . Need to practice more

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just watched the first 4 episodes last night. I don't think I've watched a total of 24 hours of NBA since the big boys hung up their shoes. I'm talking MJ, LB, MJ KAJ and maybe a few others from that era.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched the Bulls and Lakers under Phil because he was a classmate of mine at UND from 1963 - 1967. In the spring I was out for track and he was out for baseball and I would see him in the Field House/locker room. I talked to him briefly at UND Homecoming in 2018 when he and my brother received SIOUX Awards.

shadow

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is no comparison to anyone and MJ. He was greatness and strived for perfection and today, well mediocrity is the norm and it sucks. Me too, once the Bulls dynasty was over, can not watch a whole game, just sad. But then again, where is there any strive for perfection in our world today, half assed seems to be acceptable, why?

Ruttin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screenshot_20200501-192115_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20200501-192115_Facebook.jpg

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always have been a Celtic fan back in day. But sure enjoyed watching MJ and the Bulls. Never to be equaled.
Haven't watched an NBA game since MJ quit playing.
Todays NBA is a total joke and just one man shows. This is just from glances i see while channel surfing.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see much tv but this one I'm liking so far. The bulls were awesome but I remember really wanting Barkley, and KJ, and Thunder Dan Majerle to beat them. I really love basketball but NBA today is tough to watch although as much as I'd like to agree with the reasons you guys gave I just cant. The fact is there just isn't enough court for these guys now, too crowded for these dudes. They are so much bigger, faster, stronger, athletic than even 10 years ago, forget about 20+years ago. The ways guys score like they do now almost always well contested is unreal. Things that woulda made me come out of my chair in 1996 are now routine buckets. Case in point in episode 4 I think when there were talking about John Paxon getting open, cool guy btw, that just doesn't happen any more. Those shots are made completely over top of someone now, no one who can shoot gets left open now, too much speed. Shaq "in his prime" isn't among the top 10 strongest guys in the game today and they are all quicker and can score from anywhere. That's why we don't compare eras for anything other than entertainment value, it just doesn't make sense. MJ is the best to ever do it though, not even close, no need to want a magic time machine to compare because the basic human being stats don't lie.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was nothing better than watching MJ work his amazing clutchness night in and out the only guy who never let a fan down EVER. Watching Penny and Shaq on the magic wasnt half bad either, what an Era for the sport it was.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't see much tv but this one I'm liking so far. The bulls were awesome but I remember really wanting Barkley, and KJ, and Thunder Dan Majerle to beat them. I really love basketball but NBA today is tough to watch although as much as I'd like to agree with the reasons you guys gave I just cant. The fact is there just isn't enough court for these guys now, too crowded for these dudes. They are so much bigger, faster, stronger, athletic than even 10 years ago, forget about 20+years ago. The ways guys score like they do now almost always well contested is unreal. Things that woulda made me come out of my chair in 1996 are now routine buckets. Case in point in episode 4 I think when there were talking about John Paxon getting open, cool guy btw, that just doesn't happen any more. Those shots are made completely over top of someone now, no one who can shoot gets left open now, too much speed. Shaq "in his prime" isn't among the top 10 strongest guys in the game today and they are all quicker and can score from anywhere. That's why we don't compare eras for anything other than entertainment value, it just doesn't make sense. MJ is the best to ever do it though, not even close, no need to want a magic time machine to compare because the basic human being stats don't lie.

I agree to what you said extent if the players of yesterday played today they would still have the opportunity to develop in a level playing through better nutrition and fitness field so talent is talent, the difference now is stacked teams and relaxed defense because the NBA wants more points hence no contested shots this has been going on for the last decade. Heck LB would be called for traveling 20 years ago no excuse just plain laziness of fundamental basketball.
Now with the NCAA looking to boost athletic revenue through NBA money its only a matter of time before college basketball becomes player development for future players on a legalize level.

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
The legal defense now is much tougher now than in the past. These guys are so quick it's amazing. As far as the past goes flagrants didn't get you kicked out back then and then there used to be the almighty hand check. Remember the "be like Mike" gatorade commercial, he even hand checked a little kid. It wasn't tougher D thought just just made back to the basket play much more important leading to more double teams. Jordan changes his game to beat the hand check, remember when 80% of the shots were turn around fade aways. That wasn't the most entertaining either. That kinda thing is usless now with the level of humans playing d. A floater used to be a low percentage shot now its common because its tough to find anything easier. You're right it's training and nutrition, that's why it's really only prudent to compare the entertainment value. Stacked teams is a big thing true, the trades that make the NBA teams now wouldn't have been allowed back then. Those stacked teams like the bulls and rockets, and suns, and knicks in the 90s weren't able to be considered "stacked" until it was shown on the court what these guys could do. Now they go somewhere win then head for states with no income tax.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The legal defense now is much tougher now than in the past. These guys are so quick it's amazing. As far as the past goes flagrants didn't get you kicked out back then and then there used to be the almighty hand check. Remember the "be like Mike" gatorade commercial, he even hand checked a little kid. It wasn't tougher D thought just just made back to the basket play much more important leading to more double teams. Jordan changes his game to beat the hand check, remember when 80% of the shots were turn around fade aways. That wasn't the most entertaining either. That kinda thing is usless now with the level of humans playing d. A floater used to be a low percentage shot now its common because its tough to find anything easier. You're right it's training and nutrition, that's why it's really only prudent to compare the entertainment value. Stacked teams is a big thing true, the trades that make the NBA teams now wouldn't have been allowed back then. Those stacked teams like the bulls and rockets, and suns, and knicks in the 90s weren't able to be considered "stacked" until it was shown on the court what these guys could do. Now they go somewhere win then head for states with no income tax.

the physicality of the game had went way down. A normal fowl back then is now a 5 game suspension. I think Lebron plays fine back then but frail players like Steph curry just get taken out by Bill lambier or even vinny Johnson would one time him after a couple threes. Kobe was in between and really played in both eras I wish he was still here to talk about it. My kid watches it all the time now but even he says they played way harder back in the day when he watches these old games.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
You cant even touch the guy at all in today's NBA game I watched some games where the guy posting up is 2 or 3 feet away from player every time, I'm talking about Stephen Curry which don't get me wrong he is an exceptional player no the less but come on absolutely no defense for a non contested shot. That is the norm now everyone is afraid of getting a foul called on them so no more posting up no more contested shots, no more players earning their right to drive to the basket. 80 and 90 BB was the best its what being physical every game was taught as well as good old fashion fundamental basketball skills.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pretty tough to compare against different eras as the styles of play change. Players are bigger and faster now and the pay structure and free agency is so different where guys that are barely all-stars are getting league maximum contracts. I think they said Pippen was the 6th highest paid player on the team in 1998 - and it wasn't like there were a bunch of high paid guys on the team. He was probably one of the top 10 players in the league at that time. Not a big LeBron fan for all of his team jumping but I do respect his talent, which is incredible. Jordan was in the heart of my teenage years so obviously I and many on this site will be biased. Hearing that Alan Parsons intro song still makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The standout part of it was the Bulls played as a TEAM. Yeah, they had some serious talent, but everyone was part of it and played significant roles. Pippen was a force, the guys like Paxton and Grant contributed. Heck even Rodman was a beast and the defining factor in some of those games. You had lots of players named to the All-Defensive team. They played as a team on offense and defense. Game has changed in so many ways but nobody plays it this way anymore.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
There is literally no defense played in the NBA now days compared to back then, I mean zilch. You can't hand check, guys are 2-3 feet off everyone.

Even with playing no defense these clowns now days take games off. That literally never happened even 10 years ago. Bunch of pansies now days.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75