Student's "Flying Gun" Draws Attention of FAA by Kristen A. Schmitt

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
It’s a bird! It’s a plane! Nope, it’s a flying gun! Austin Haughwout, an 18-year-old mechanical-engineering student, recently built a drone with a semi-automatic handgun mounted to it. A video of it in use—taken in a wooded area in Clinton, Connecticut—has garnered respect and fear from YouTube commenters.
Haughwout said that the device is a “homemade multi-rotor with a semi-automatic handgun mounted on it” and that the drone was custom built for this purpose.
Regardless of the frightening potential capabilities of this type of device, the Clinton Police Department believes that the “flying gun” does not break any laws, especially because Haughwout shot the device on his own property.
"If it's being discharged in an area where it could be legally discharged, right now there's no legislation that prohibits it," Sgt. Jeremiah Dunn told NBC Connecticut.
Despite the fact that the “flying gun” may slip through a legal loophole, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) plans to investigate whether the device violates any air-safety rules. “The FAA will investigate the operation of an unmanned aircraft system in a Connecticut park to determine if any Federal Aviation Regulations were violated,” FAA spokesman Jim Peters said.
Although Haughwout may not have broken any laws when creating or using the device, his invention may be the catalyst behind new laws that keep such innovative technological advancements in check.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put a judge on there and take window hunting to a whole new level

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The downfall of private drones will be that in theory you could attach a bomb and fly it to wherever you want it to go boom.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm waiting for the anti-drone drone.

is that kinda like an anti aircraft device? maybe set up some of those mortar shell fireworks as a defense to the "attack of the drones" :;:duel

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The downfall of private drones will be that in theory you could attach a bomb and fly it to wherever you want it to go boom.

There are much more efficient and effective means of transporting a device through the air already perfected and in use. Google "Missile" and you'll see what I'm talking about. You have almost the same kind of tracking and guidance technology in your trolling motor as is used in a missile to guide it to its target. You'll scare yourself if you think about it to much.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wanna see what kind of groups hes getting.... Im pretty sure the military has been doing this for a while now!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote_iconpng-1.jpg
Originally Posted by Davey Crockett

There are much more efficient and effective means of transporting a device through the air already perfected and in use. Google "Missile" and you'll see what I'm talking about. You have almost the same kind of tracking and guidance technology in your trolling motor as is used in a missile to guide it to its target. You'll scare yourself if you think about it to much.

I realize how far back in the stone ages a drone is in comparison to a Tomahawk or a minuteman. I'm talking about those no good terrorists and suicide bombers that operate on a shoestring.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I knew what you meant, but those no good terrorists and suicide bombers only get as technical as they have to be. In Afghanistan, they were using catapults made from car springs to lob grenades and such at us from behind walls. Pretty "Stone Age" but it still worked.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I read a comment on an Outdoor Life article that said the remote triggering of a firearm may make it a Class 3 weapon. Not sure how accurate the info is, in case some dove chasers have big ideas.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any SOB who lobs grenades at KDM needs a gd stove rolled on their foot.

- - - Updated - - -

Musky,

That vid seriously gave me the freakn' chills! Holy hell that's beautiful!

Radar13

Founding Member
Founding Member
The video after had a drone with a machine gun. it's cool but it's a Russian in the video

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76