Light Action combo recommendation

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I'm looking for some advice on a new rod/reel setup and maybe you guys can help me out with some ideas before I pull the trigger on anything. First thing first is I would like to keep my budget under $150, be able to use the reel on open/hard water, and prefer a 1 piece rod. I have been a shore/float tube fisherman my whole life and recently purchased a canoe so I am looking to upgrade my arsenal to accommodate fishing from my canoe. I want something a little versatile because I would like to target anything from big bluegill to trout to walleye. I plan on tossing small crank baits/spinners, vertical jigging, and the occasional slip bobber. Right now I have my eyes on a 6'6" St Croix Triumph light/fast rod and either a Shimano Sedona 1000FD or Pflueger Purist 1325 (since cabelas has them on sale for $59). Anyone have an opinion? Will these 2 reels be too big for ice fishing? Any advice is appreciated.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fnwick elite tech, best bang for the buck. Custom is another option but that's a another story.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
My opinion, you're simply trying to mix too many options into one rod, especially trying to get a reel that will work for ice fishing. I understand this is no help, but they make all different lengths, power, and sensitivity rods for a reason. Jogging and casting a just too different for me to try to use the same rod.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd go with a ML rod of your choosing. If you're wanting a reel for ice fishing, the shimano sienna FD500 could play double duty. Since you're not going to be trolling with the rod, a smaller reel will work. Camoman kinda hit it on the head, however. You're trying to bridge a gap that is too wide. Something a little to heavy for gills might be a little too light if you tie into a nice walleye/bigger pike.

Lostlunker

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well thanks everyone for the advice. I've think I'm going to stick with the St Croix Triumph and up in the air about the reel still. Will be my go to panfish/trout setup and I have a few other reels I can use I'll just get a different rod to target walleye, I was hoping to get something to cover all bases but that doesn't look realistic.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 156
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79