MT Archery Elk

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at heading to MT for a do-it-yourself archery elk hunt. Thinking about heading to the Crazies. Anyone ever hunt that area or have any info for me? Thanks!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Asking such a general question won't likely get you much information. Although relatively small compared to some areas, there is still a lot of ground to hunt in that range. You're starting the search the right way though. Start big and work your way down (region, area, unit, range, basin, etc.). I spent the last two years pouring over maps and talking with biologists in MT before I finally settled on the areas that I'll be hunting in September. Start by reviewing the population objective maps and statistics (wish I had done this right away). That one resource will eliminate a lot of the potential areas, and give you a chance to focus on a few specific areas. The type of hunt and the terrain will also make a difference in the area(s) that you select.

Once you've narrowed down the areas, start studying the maps to find places (basins) that you'd like to hunt. Look for the elky areas with all of the essentials (food, shelter, and water). Once you've found a few specific places (XXX creek, Large Mtn., etc.), then call/email the biologist in the area. Asking them general questions like, "what is unit XXX like" and "where can I find the biggest bulls with little hunting pressure", will get you no where with them.

Lastly, be realistic when gauging your abilities. If you can't handle packing an elk 5-6 miles out of a wilderness area, don't hunt there. Sure, it may be easy to get there, but you'll think twice when carrying 100lbs + for 30+ miles. Not trying to discourage you, just saying be realistic.

Sorry for rambling. I guess I could've just answered your questions by saying, "there are elk there".....

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use maps. Find secluded water.

MarbleEyez

Founding Member
Founding Member
Asking such a general question won't likely get you much information. Although relatively small compared to some areas, there is still a lot of ground to hunt in that range. You're starting the search the right way though. Start big and work your way down (region, area, unit, range, basin, etc.). I spent the last two years pouring over maps and talking with biologists in MT before I finally settled on the areas that I'll be hunting in September. Start by reviewing the population objective maps and statistics (wish I had done this right away). That one resource will eliminate a lot of the potential areas, and give you a chance to focus on a few specific areas. The type of hunt and the terrain will also make a difference in the area(s) that you select.

Once you've narrowed down the areas, start studying the maps to find places (basins) that you'd like to hunt. Look for the elky areas with all of the essentials (food, shelter, and water). Once you've found a few specific places (XXX creek, Large Mtn., etc.), then call/email the biologist in the area. Asking them general questions like, "what is unit XXX like" and "where can I find the biggest bulls with little hunting pressure", will get you no where with them.

Lastly, be realistic when gauging your abilities. If you can't handle packing an elk 5-6 miles out of a wilderness area, don't hunt there. Sure, it may be easy to get there, but you'll think twice when carrying 100lbs + for 30+ miles. Not trying to discourage you, just saying be realistic.

Sorry for rambling. I guess I could've just answered your questions by saying, "there are elk there".....

We will be taking horses. Packing in and setting up camp.

The Mantis

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking at heading to MT for a do-it-yourself archery elk hunt. Thinking about heading to the Crazies. Anyone ever hunt that area or have any info for me? Thanks!

Good luck man! I've spent more time hiking the crazies than hunting them so I can't really help you. From what I've heard the crazies are great if you can find the elk, but that's about the way it is anywhere these days.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76