Shore Fishing - Camper Gear

lazyMlazyK

Founding Member
Founding Member
We recently purchased a used 5th-wheel camper, and I want to keep a simple, fairly cheep, easy to pack in/out shore fishing setup in the camper. Picked up a cheap $30 rod/reel combo and small Plano tackle bag. Most of the time, I’ll also be bringing my three year old boy with me, as he also loves to fish. Aside from maybe a bucket, cooler, and rod holder stake, what else should I be packing to maybe catch a few fish (no particular species in mind) to bring back to the camper for cleaning? Looking to keep things as simple as possible and not carry too much crap around.

bravo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Small “bait up” style live bait container, small fly fishing style landing net, stringer, small backpack to carry everything

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
20200726_151715.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I'm camping right now. My campers about 25 yards behind me. I just bring my stuff every time in my pickup or boat but I could keep it in my camper. That little green tackle box is my shore fishing tackle box.

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use a backpack tackle bag now for most of my tackle. Easy to throw in the truck or boat and carries plenty of gear. I like rods and reels that are easy to cast a long ways for shore fishing setups, so usually spinning or spincast reels unless your comfortable with baitcasters. A 5 gallon bucket with small bait container, rod holders, stringer and a rag or roll of paper towels. That's about it really.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I suppose it depends upon where you like to fish, and what time of day.

I don't have a boat (hangs head in shame) but love to fish. I spend most of my time on the Missouri River in the Bismarck area, and the Garrison Dam tailrace. I too have a "new" 5th wheel camper. Am going to the tailrace this Wednesday for two nights. If I fish, I'll bring my standard kit.

I mostly fish nights though.

Gotta have a headlight, plenty of shallow cranks (various colors, husky jerks, original floaters, shallow shad-raps, shadow rap shaps - shallow), and jigs and plastics. I avoid messing with live bait, because well, it dies.

I use 6.5' spinning gear with 8 or 10 lb Power Pro. I carry about 24 cranks in a Simms sling-type pack. Need bugspray, and I usually bring a jacket, as it gets colder than one would think, by the water, after dark.

If I had to pick one color plastic, it'd be white/silver. If I had to pick four color cranks, they'd be: chartreuse/silver, black/silver, blue/silver, and firetiger or hot steel (pretty nearly interchangeable in my opinion).

If I had to pick one style of crank, it's going to be a #11 original floater by Rapala.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76