TIRE Thread 2000 Super Duty

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I consider myself fairly up on the times as far as tires are concerned. However, I nearly shitttteeeeee in my pants when i saw how much factory 235/85 16 E load tires were going for, even at Walmart. $180-$220, sweet little 8 pound 5 oz. baby jesus have mercy! Looking for a set for the 2000 Super Duty before out of state hunts begin. Anyone running the General AT2 grabber? Looks a lot like the BFG All Terrain, and from personal experience, the BFG is a Average tire at best. Great from new til about 50%, and then brutal after than in about every aspect. However, I have read quite a few online forums that these generals are a much better tire than the BFG, and hold up much better, along with cleaning and other perks….. anyone care to back that saying up? The price point is much better on these at around 140/tire, so I am quite curious. I have run the Hercules Terra Tracs into the ground, and while they have been an EXCELLENT tire, they just don't have enough grip and bite for a hunting pickup when a guy gets into some serious terrain. Any preferences and other choices are welcomed. Good day boys and girls.

Here is a list of options Im throwing around:

Walmart Goodyear Authoritys… grippy and solid reviews, fairly quiet… 178 per tire
Cooper AT3's… average reviews at best.. and not quite grippy enough for what I'm looking for, but price is solid @ 140ish a tire
Cooper ST MAXX… great reviews, grippy enough for what I'm thinking, price slowly creeps up @ 180+/tire
Generals AT2's… good reviews overall, fairly grippy, solid price @ 140-160/tire
Toyo Open Countrys… good reviews, decent tread, decent price @ 150-180/tire

Taylorman

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My vote is for Toyos. I had a set ATs on my half ton and I put 55,000 miles on them before I sold the pickup. They still had 5-10k left on them. I put a lot of miles on gravel too. They were excellent in snow and ice. Only complaint I have about them is that they're not very aggressive looking, other then that they are an amazing tire.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
You will get your monies worth out of the cooper stt Maxx. I ran them on my last pick up for 60k+. That's living under a 500hp diesel to boot. They made easy work of mud and snow. Very good traction on ice as well. They are quiet on the road and don't throw rocks like an sob either. I will run these tires until they quit making them.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I heard walmart tires are not the same as the exact tire at a different tire shop. They use a different cheaper rubber. Could be rumor, but look into it when spending a grand or more on tires

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard this as well John. I have a few buddies out here and they are running the Walmart Goodyears on their farm pickups with good results. They have all stated how they HAVE to be rotated every 5-6k instead of normal 7500-10k that some guys run. If they dont rotate them fairly often they said they become out of balance rather quickly.

As far as narrowing down the tires, it's going to be the Generals or the Cooper ST Maxx. Ugh, decisions decisions.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think the Walmart tires are any different. The problem is finding ten ply's at Walmart.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Update. Ended up putting the General Grabber AT2's on. To say i am currently NOT impressed is an understatement. I played with the psi all damn day yesterday on this thing. Anywhere from 60 psi, walked it up 5 psi and then drove to find out differences. Ended up maxxing them out at their 80 psi max and still no resolve. These tires WALK and Wobble all over. The guy that did the balancing I trust with my life, so I'm not too concerned that they are out of balance, he has done 5+ sets for me with no previous issues. Essentially going down the road and hitting a bump at all, the ass end wants to move side to side. It kind of feels like you are in a light car with a severe tail wind on ice. Super uncomfortable feeling. Not sure what the hell is going on but it was severe enough where the wife even noticed it, and most women don't even know if they have a flat tire or not going down the highway. My concern is when there is a horse trailer on the back and the horses move, could send this pickup in the ditch. Pretty sure ill be scrapping these and sending them down the road. Wondering if they would do better on a lighter vehicle? Now, the only other thought, I am going from a 245/75/16 to this factory 235/85 tires. With this slight extra height and sidewall difference FEEL this much different? At a loss right now.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just bought a set of retread tires for a pickup from Treadwright.com in 285 70 17 d rated 520 delivered to my door, a month in and they are performing nicely.

I have been following the company for years and have talked to many others who have run them and have had god luck so I took advantage of a free shipping special they had a month ago.

I recommend them from my own short term experience as well as what I have seen over the years of sitting on the edge with them.

https://www.treadwright.com/

You may want to expand your size choice to include maybe a 245-75-16 they are about the same diameter but only an inch wider. This will get you a bit more life out of them as well, I find that 235-85-156 never lasted as long on one pickup I used to have until I went a bit bigger.

Last edited:

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
on your list I would have chosen the cooper AT3's ... what happened with your Hercules Terra Tracs, I'm still running the AT II's on the Expedition and love them....and running BFGoodrich Tires - All-Terrain T/A KO2 Tires open the 'yota.... for several hundred less a set I am really impressed with the Hercules … in my tire research I have found that most brands now that have the "II" on them are next generation siped tires that provide smoother ride and longer lasting tread wear

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
on your list I would have chosen the cooper AT3's ... what happened with your Hercules Terra Tracs, I'm still running the AT II's on the Expedition and love them....and running BFGoodrich Tires - All-Terrain T/A KO2 Tires open the 'yota.... for several hundred less a set I am really impressed with the Hercules … in my tire research I have found that most brands now that have the "II" on them are next generation siped tires that provide smoother ride and longer lasting tread wear

The Hercules were some of the best tires I have ever owned. They had nearly 60k on them with near 20% tread left, lots of gravel road time too. They wore amazing, were amazing on the highway, good in snow. They were average on this pickup on ice, and overall not the greatest in mud. I just wanted something with a little more "bite" as Im slowly transitioning this pickup in the next year to my all out hunting rig (front locker, winch etc). Im going to give these Generals a couple thousand miles and see how they work, or if they break in a bit. Im hooking up the bumper pull with 3 big horses tonight and heading towards the interstate to see how they handle. Ill keep ya in the loop. But Im actually starting to think a 235/85 Hercules may be an option here shortly. Or I should have just manned up and got a set of 255/85 16 Toyo M55's. ;:;banghead

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought a set of retread tires for a pickup from Treadwright.com in 285 70 17 d rated 520 delivered to my door, a month in and they are performing nicely.

I have been following the company for years and have talked to many others who have run them and have had god luck so I took advantage of a free shipping special they had a month ago.

I recommend them from my own short term experience as well as what I have seen over the years of sitting on the edge with them.

https://www.treadwright.com/

You may want to expand your size choice to include maybe a 245-75-16 they are about the same diameter but only an inch wider. This will get you a bit more life out of them as well, I find that 235-85-156 never lasted as long on one pickup I used to have until I went a bit bigger.

I def. do not want to go back to a 245/75 that I had. I put these 235's along side and the difference in height in nearly 1.5 inches. I like the extra clearance. Another thing is I want a fairly skinny tire for getting through more snow, Pushing snow with that extra width makes a huge difference when you get in the deep stuff that I seem to find in most places. I ran with a similar pickup last winter that had 255/85 16s compared to my 245's, and it made my pickup look like bambi when it came to being in deep snow.

89bluefin

Founding Member
Founding Member
tires are a pain in my ass!!!

- - - Updated - - -

but to help pick a tire that will work best you need to ask yourself exactly what kind of tire do you need forget the brands for a second and think of which tire best suites your driving needs are you a gravel driver? lots of highway? are you a farmer whos in the mud (field driving) are you a driver who tows a lot are a driver who tows a few times a year brands are a important part but first you need to know if you need a at, mt,ht tire

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Chevy '09 dually came with General tires and they have been excellent. But I don't think General makes that size any more. I've had good service from Toyo tires in the past, and the Coopers I've owned seemed to last a long time, but with limited traction on wet or icy roads. So I'll be shopping for Toyo or Cooper tires this fall/next spring.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your spare is 15 years old, replace it too. Back when I owned a Suburban, I didn't use or replace the spare when I bought tires. When it was about 10 years old, it didn't hold air any more. There is nothing as useless as a spare with the little nubs still on it that won't hold air. Lesson learned: include the spare in the rotation/replacement.

Taylorman55

Founding Member
Founding Member
Figured I haven't been on here for awhile so wanted to give an update. The Generals now have around 4,000 miles on them and have broke in nicely. The loose feeling they gave right away lasted about 500-1000 miles. After that the ride got better and better. Now, there is very little play, and Im much happier with them. Dad and I went on a elk hunt in west central Colorado again this year, they are very quiet on the highway and were worth their weight in gold on some of the trails we ended up on. They def. kick ass in the deep snow, pretty average in gumbo, but I don't think any tire would have cleaned for what we were in. We will see how they wear for the next few thousand miles and then I will rotate the, but overall, Ive become happy now that they've broke in a bit. :;:thumbsup:;:thumbsup

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got ~7K Mi on the BF Goodrich AT KO II's 34x10.50 Load D (I don't tow heavy enough for it to matter). They're downright stately going down the highway. They're also are narrow enough to cut their own track everywhere I've driven so far. I haven't run any really deep snow yet, did run some really sloppy mud/melting snow hunting elk and I was very happy. Curious to see how they'll do on packed snow/ice as I was really happy with the original ATKO's on my '06 Super Duty.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got ~7K Mi on the BF Goodrich AT KO II's 34x10.50 Load D (I don't tow heavy enough for it to matter). They're downright stately going down the highway. They're also are narrow enough to cut their own track everywhere I've driven so far. I haven't run any really deep snow yet, did run some really sloppy mud/melting snow hunting elk and I was very happy. Curious to see how they'll do on packed snow/ice as I was really happy with the original ATKO's on my '06 Super Duty.

I picked up this same tire for my 12 F250, 18 inch. I have about 500 miles on them, so far very impressed. I bought them when they had a buy 3 get the 4th free deal going on. So I spent under a grand.

They look real nice too.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Currently experimenting with Nitto G2's. Pretty much fresh, the ice n snow were no big deal. These are 285/65/20

- - - Updated - - -

maybe 60 i cant remember now

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87