best no til fall plot seed

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
well my food plot isnt as awesome as i had hoped.. there is a little growing, so i dont want to til that up, but i was going to do some sort of a throw and grow in there also for the fall, and start all over next year, gonna for sure test soil and fertilize as needed but for this fall i need something that i can just throw out there and let it grow, any suggestions? this plot has been worked this spring and sprayed with round up a week ago and i will probably spray it again before i plant whatever i decide will work best

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
As late as it's getting you are going to be limited to greens and veggies. A brassica mix like gr8outdoors recommended would be good. Kale, beans, peas, lettuce, okra, spinach are a few other fast growing crops to consider. As you know growing a garden is a great way to draw in deer.

Deerwatcher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wait for a high chance of rain and go drag in some turnips radishes and find some oats barley rye

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have similar issue. My plot got over grown by thistle. Will alfalfa grow enough this late in the year? or is it more a set up for next year?

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
quote_iconpng-1.jpg
Originally Posted by bucksnbears
i admire your enthusiasm but if you planted soybeans in that small plot;:;popcorn;:;popcorn..

i tried to help you back then:;:thumbsup

being this late, you don't have many optiond.
if the weeds are burned down, i'd wait 2 more weeks,lightly work the ground (about 1" deep) no more or you'll just bring up more dormant weed seeds.
get some oats/rye and spread them heavy, drag the ground and you may still get a great plot with a good rain..

i would not plant clover/alfalfa this time of year.

Yoby. burn (chemical) the shit outta that thistle. then do what i recommended for the arrowedem. you still have time.
oats/rye should be planted end of aug/first of sept.
clover/alfalfa should be planted in cool weather.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
well it wasnt because of the deer that the soys didnt grow, they just flat out arent that awesome really skinny not much of a stem to them look pretty ugly maybe i wasnt getting as much light there throughout the day as i thought, and i wouldnt say i dont have many options, lots of guys do fall food plots and from now to sept is the time they start planting them so i should be good to go as the fields go brown my food plot will be flourishing with green.... hopefully

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66