Layout Blind and Call Recommendations

bigsky2

I'm just getting into waterfowl hunting and I am looking to buy a layout blind. I was hoping I could get some recommendations on here. I want something that is fairly mobile and won't break the bank.

I was also wondering what are some good duck and goose calls for beginners. Thanks in advance for any info you guys can share.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
As far as layout blinds I would recommend any blind that has NO PINS that need to be inserted in a small whole in the dark. I think mine is a Finisher and it basically folds up with some push-button slides and one cross-piece that needs to be inserted in to back end. Pretty simple to do in the dark once you've done it. Had a blind that required inserting pins and thankfully it finally wore out so I could juck it and get a better blind.

Also, lighter cover or color is best. It's way easier to make a blind darker than lighter in color. The lower in height the better as higher blinds do create shadows when it's sunny.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
In my old age I've resorted to stand up blinds,sold off my collection of layouts,really liked the final approach layout (finisher)as they have aluminum frames,waterproof,large pop up tent if needed for big boots late season,my XL was large enough for my big ass and my dog.

No issues with my stand-up blind these days plenty of shooting,nice comphy fold out chair,standing gun rack,webbing you can see through rather than peeking over the top spooking the decoying birds,don't miss my layouts at all,but if you gotta have one consider one with a alum frame rather than a fold-up frame less type on windy/rainy day's.

my .02

Calls? so many option's never used the primos but herd good things,in my part of mn we get a migration of greater canadian birds with deep sounds,so we put our short reeds away and dig out our 30 year old big river flute for these big B-52's , might be the easiest to learn with,but later in the season good ole hand tuned short reed calls are the bomb for shot at decoy shy honkers(lessor's and cackler's,check out Tim Grounds website,his half breed and coca bola have a great sound,geese respond well to these calls as they are not on everyone's lanyard in the field,a different sound makes a difference on pushed birds,a good acrylic will give you volume/distance.

sometimes its best not to call on wary birds,but a flag comes in handy,late season so many hunters get hung up on double clucking,you'll seldom if ever hear honkers double clucking on the ground in the fall,some experts claim(I'm no expert) double clucking gets wary birds excited to come in, so many times I've watched from a distance other hunters calling like a dang calling competition only to flare decoying birds,but who knows why the birds flared could be one hunter peeking,the head bob will do it as well,just my .02.

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stand up blinds? Are you talking about round bale imitation ones? Not sure how well they would work.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
So many blue platers I gave up waterfowl. The scourge has come.

- - - Updated - - -

Look at the end America protests in Minnesota. The people who live there allow this to go on and then come here by the thousands to hunt geese and ducks to escape it. It’s literally a scourge of pickups with trailers who drive allover fields. Imagine heading to mn and driving into a field with multiple vehicles and trailers. You would be in jail quick.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enslow non rez coming to mn not with trailers to hunt but fishing boats,last few years over 20k/yr nodak fishing licenses sold alone,plus iowa,missouri come play on our lakes,I know the feeling,plenty of space for all in north central minn,our small towns welcome the revenue and the state in general with tax money

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Haha.........Tax Money..........to keep big brother up a running.

Yeah no shit,we get taxed to death,now if biden/kamel toe and piglosi get they're way to give federal monies to mpls to rebuild after riots we're all fucked with more taxes,still hard to believe minn didn't flip to red,bunch of free falling leaches sucking on our welfare system plus now slippery biden speaks of free stuff if anything this pos says truthful.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76