cold weather optics fogging up

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What is the cure for scope/binoculars that fog up on cold days after a few seconds/minutes from body heat when you are looking through them ?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^ Baa haa, Lay them on the dash with the heater on defrost, have alcohol wipes at the ready to wipe off the fog.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
In through your nose. Out through your mouth like you’re attempting to extinguish a cake full
of candles.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is almost instant , Like 10-20 seconds, from heat transfer from my eyes to the lens. Both binoculars and scope. This is the first year I have noticed this problem.
First time I noticed was pre season and I can't hold a bead while breathing so I know I held breath my breath as best I could on a trotting coyote one morning until it disappeared into the foggy lens. I cleaned them with alcohol wipes and they seemed to get worse after that. Thinking there must be some sort of lens cleaner/protectant to help with this ?

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Clean the lenses with dish soap or shaving cream--no water...leave an extremely light coat which is imperceptible. Also works on bathroom mirrors. You can leave an invisible message and scare the hell out of people. Penis drawings can be fun.

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This seriously works: Apply a small drop/amount on an appropriate cloth then clean the lens as you would with glass cleaner. Fog no more. Thanks LS.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
A high quality anti-fog spray.

- - - Updated - - -

any drug store or glasses/optical store carries them

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
usually leave my rifle/bio's in the truck over night ,no issue when its go time.maybe I'm lucky?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm pretty sure it's body heat transfer because it happens within a few seconds on a cold morning and this is the first time I've ever had this problem. I'm thinking my lenses were coated and working just fine all these years until I used alcohol based antibacterial wipes to clean them since that was what I had handy.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 166
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76