Gun Safe Listed Capacity vs. Actual?

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to be buying a safe here soon. I've heard people say buy twice what you think you'll need. So if I want to fit 15, do I buy a 30, 10 buy 20, 20 buy, 40? Far fewer scoped guns than shotguns in what I have if that makes any difference. I plan to go look some over soon, just curious on what you would recommend for capacity. Thanks!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say that is about right. My safe is at max should have bought a bigger one

fj40

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just bought a safe that is supposed to store 30 guns. And it will if they are all red ryder bb guns.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Two safes is better than one:
- a thief might break into a single safe, but breaking into two safes would be twice as much time and effort.
- put a safe on opposite ends of the house. If there’s a fire, one of your safes may still be salvageable.
- you have far more options for moving and placement of two smaller safes than you do with one grand safe.

Rut2much

Founding Member
Founding Member
Outgrew the one safe by about 30 and just got a new 60, not even attempting to get in the house so in the garage will be it's final resting place. Cant wait to start filling it up and see how much it really holds. (Hope I never have to move one like this hawg ever again!)

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fully agree with BW above on buying 2. We always figured what they claim to hold and comfortably holding is 1/2 to 2/3. Also when you go to move the smaller size, it is much easier to move. Buy quality and if not buying quality, just save your money. A cheap gun safe isn't something you want to try to scrimp by on.
We like the combination locks as there is no battery to go dead others like the push button locks but you have to deal with a battery.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Gotta 48 that can hold about 30. Gotta 24 that became an ammo safe, but ran out of room in there.

Scopes and bipods eat up lots of room, plus safes aren't usually set up to accommodate a large number of shotguns. Usually have to take a shelf out if you have more than about 4 shotguns.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I am going to heed the advice and get a smaller one to start. If I want to add another I will. Seems counterintuitive, but I HATE moving the things. I've moved my friend's 4 times and each time I say never again. The shotgun part is a good point, I have several long trap guns. Shelf may or may not work up top. Sure is hard to find one without an electronic lock these days though....

dodgeguy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm looking for a new safe as well but haven't found one I can say wow I really like that one. Every one seems to have it where you have to stack them in front of each other and I done like that. So where is a guy to look? I've done scheels runnings and tsc. TSC has a winchester brand that would be about as close as to what I'd want but still holding out for the wow factor. Contemplated just buying another smaller one like I have as well.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I like the way the safe in a meme posted earlier is set up. Could just be because I am a little jealous of the bling, but everything seems way more accessible than trying to get something out of the fourth row of your safe. Screenshot_20201208-171348~2.jpg

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Their advertising is actually quite true. A 30 gun safe will easily hold 30 guns. The problem is you guys keep trying to put rifles in them.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been storing my guns in the garden shed, a nice paddle lock on the door, and a tarp over the top... bingo its good to go

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75