Kicker motor speed control

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planning on buying a Tohatsu 9.8 kicker motor this spring and looked on the internet for speed controls for it. All I found was ControlKing and TrollMaster units. Does anyone have any experience with either of these two brands? ControlKing is about $250 and TrollMaster is about $280. Is there anything cheaper that would work?

Finaddict

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've used two troll master controllers one on a 15 mercury and one on a 9.9 Suzuki. Both were flawless, quick, responsive, and easy to use and install

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking at them too.

There's one called Itroll also.

Walleye Central is a good place to research these types of things.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking at them too.

There's one called Itroll also.

Walleye Central is a good place to research these types of things.

I have an ITroll, no idea what they cost (it was on my boat when I bought it) and I haven't unlocked the advanced features. The rheostat throttle control portion has been completely trouble free for me.

I suspect most any "problems" are more likely related to plugged carbs and old gas in the little motors rather than any of the available rheostat throttle controls.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
The servo motor went out on my troll master so I went shopping online and cross referenced the part numbers and found enough new parts to build a complete unit for just a few bucks. Mine is hard wired with the steering in the same controller and I put a remote control from a winch on the steering . Seriously, Someone that likes to tinker could have a nice profitable hobby/business buying/selling /rigging trolling motors. I have too many irons in the fire but the mark up must be in the thousands of %. They sound complicated until you look at one.

- - - Updated - - -

Someone that is into remote control airplanes should be able to give some good pointers on controls. I didn't take the time to come up with a wireless remote for engine speed because my controller works good and but it's pretty much like making jello if you can read and understand directions. Goal would be to program one remote for all functions in the boat , Two or more controllers is a Pain in the neck

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boat came with a Trollmaster for the kicker. It's the older one, it works great!! It doesn't have the auto up and down throttle though. You'll love it!! Just set it for the correct speed and point motors straight. Steer with the bow mount electric. I use directional heading and it works great. I have to figure out how to have it follow a trail. It would be really nice if I could have it follow a contour on the map! Better yet, have it ALL connected to a server like Star Trek. Computer, troll in 12 fow at 2.2 mph.....engage!

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Better yet, have it ALL connected to a server like Star Trek. Computer, troll in 12 fow at 2.2 mph.....engage!

Set fish-finder to "Stun" and just scoop them up. (grin)

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67