Upgrade with NEW Electronics.??

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My buddy is a millionaire and is upgrading his graphs. Maybe electric trolling motor too, if need to sync better. I told him that he should get something that can follow the map contour without making a new trail. Now money shouldn't be an issue but he's a cheap ass millionaire, aren't they all.

He has a Minkota I-Pilot now with Lowrance HDS9 Gen2 Touch in dash and HDS 7 Gen2 in front.

If you could upgrade to anything, What would you get?! The one thing it has to do is follow a chosen map contour.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
correct me if i am wrong. but, if you want to follow a contour... which i wouldn't want to go without... i think that limits your combo options. its either bird and kota paired together. or motorguide and lowrance paired together. so, might be best to decide which particular trolling motor or electronics trumps the others and pair accordingly. i suppose you could mix and match electronics. pair a trolling motor with an graph up front and a different on on the dash. and of course you are gonna want one of those fancy live view sonars up front. anyway, i am of very little help. sorry for the rambling.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
No those help, trust me. I'm thinking he has to have a Bird up front unless he goes with a NEW trolling motor. Which he may do. I keep telling him It'll be 10 grand, or more. Also interested in the mapping features. I'm not sure about the live imaging either. It's all so new and keeps changing. I do know that for trolling cranks in the tournament we fish, we could run more efficient if the front troller could follow a contour.

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he wants to spend some $, look at the new solix's from Bird. Link it with Minnkota. As far as upgrading his trolling motor, depends what it is, how old it is, and what boat it's on.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Everything was brand new in 2013 on a 620 Ranger

- - - Updated - - -

If he wants to spend some $, look at the new solix's from Bird. Link it with Minnkota. As far as upgrading his trolling motor, depends what it is, how old it is, and what boat it's on.

Thanks, thats what I told him to do first was look at what HBird had as their best option to put on the Bow. Then on the dash, I don't know if he wants another Bird, or go with the live imaging of a Garmin or something.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I think it comes down to personal preference as I believe each brand graph has a specific brand trolling motor they can connect to. My personal setup is as follows: minn kota terrova with pilot link, lowrance hds in bow (sonar connected to terrova), lowrance hds at steering wheel (side imaging and ethernetted to hds in bow) and humminbird helix at steering wheel (linked to terrova with ilink and a glassed in transducer in the back). I prefer lowrance for usability and 2d sonar but the humminbird/ilink combo is nice for following contours.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks Duck, that's interesting. Kind of head spinning.

Has anyone heard anything about the new trolling motor Lowrance Ghost? That may the only upgrade he needs IDK?

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might as well get a 19" Apex by bird. :;:thumbsup
apex.jpg
https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Humminbird_Apex_19_Fishfinders/descpage-HAPX19.html

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks the Apex may be the one. Not sure what size he would want?

Founding Member
Founding Member
Friend I'm fishing with is waiting for his 19" apex to add to his two solix 15 inchers and 12 inch garmin in his 22 ft 400 hp vexus..uffda.

buckhunter24_7

Founding Member
Founding Member
I hate buying new electronics, as soon a I do they come out with something big and not just a up grade. I want a new ullterra with side imagining but I think they will probably come out with a live scope or truly integrated 360 the very second after I buy it, so I wait lol

Founding Member
Founding Member
Exactly!
You bring it into scheels after a year and they look at you like your caring in a musket!

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've had my Motorguide Xi5 for 3 seasons now...not sure I would ever consider going back to Minn Kota...the Xi5 is a great unit...IMO.

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
If he truly is a tightwad...

Have him get a Terrova or Ulterra 112 with LINK. 112lb at least 60 inch shaft. Pair it with a Helix 9, 10, or 12 up front ethernetted to another at the console. That is the only way to follow contours.

He could add a Lowrance Live 9 to console for other mapping options and their 2d is still hard to beat.

If not a tightwad same motor above and 2 APEX 15s, 2 Lowrance live 12s.

Lowrance and Garmin both have trolling motors out now; but shaft length is limited to the bass boat world. They will not be the best option for any deep V including a 620 Ranger that sits nice and low in the water. Motorguide has no regional repair support so I would rule them out.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How well does that combo work Aaron?

- - - Updated - - -

how well does it stay on contours in wind, etc.?

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
FYI guyz thinking "Bird" best shit or get off the pot,ordered a helix 10si for a friend looking for a deal as I have a in,we ordered one two weeks ago hopinng to get it in in short order as none were in stock,as of yesterday got a call from the shop,bird helix 7,9 and 10's are on triple back order,maybe we'll see it by june,shop checked 3 different distributors all sold out,infact the warehouse told us starting today they will not address dealer or private inquiry calls,they have no idea when they'll see them come in they have zero control.

FYI

PS not sure if this shortage includes the bird "mega 360" for bow mount TM? buddy only has a transom EM.

Last edited:

AaronJ

Founding Member
Founding Member
How well does that combo work Aaron?

- - - Updated - - -

how well does it stay on contours in wind, etc.?

I honestly rarely use the contour follow option. It is only as good as the mapping; which is never super accurate. I also have difficulty when I lack "control" of the boat and prefer to have the remote in my hand nearly all of the time.

I run 2 Helix and 2 Live 9s. I love the combo overall. Lowrance has great mapping for DL and best side imaging. Lowrance has the 2d and mapping for some lakes. DI is a toss up. These are just my opinion.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 158
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79