Favorite Ice Fishing rods/reels

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take pretty good care of my ice rods. I have three Thorne bros. 32" walleye sweetheart, 28" walleye sweetheart, 28" perch sweetheart. Two tuned up customs 2
36" precision w/ recoils guides, and 36" power precision w/ EVA handle and recoils guides. The Thorne bros didn't come out of the box much this year. Every rod has a shimano sienna on it with either 4 or 6 lb fireline. I have one 48" scheels rod that I use when the knees can't take it anymore. Another 42" scheels rod that's just for northerns.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I take pretty good care of my ice rods. I have three Thorne bros. 32" walleye sweetheart, 28" walleye sweetheart, 28" perch sweetheart. Two tuned up customs 2
36" precision w/ recoils guides, and 36" power precision w/ EVA handle and recoils guides. The Thorne bros didn't come out of the box much this year. Every rod has a shimano sienna on it with either 4 or 6 lb fireline. I have one 48" scheels rod that I use when the knees can't take it anymore. Another 42" scheels rod that's just for northerns.

Now that's a setup!

Rustywaterdogs

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 4 Thorne bros that I use regularly. 2 28" walleye sweethearts ( ones a med. hev.) a 32" perch sweetheart and a 30" dead stick. All have shimano reels. Thinking of getting a tuned up to try this season.

squirrel92

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a pair of rod/reel setups for perch, walleye, gills/crappies, and Lake Winnipeg type walleye setups. Each pair has one longer rod that has mono line for fishing outdoors and the other rod is shorter with fireline to fish in the house. Some are genz combos and some are ugly sticks. The noodle rods for gills/crappies are from walmart and are dynamite for the price.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
28" perch sweetheart w/sienna, 29" quiverstick w/size 20 president. Both custom made by gill getter and both run nanofil.

My other rods are a mess of scheels and gander rods that get used for bobbers mostly or when my better half comes with

Holmsvc

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 32 Walleye SH with a Sienna, 28 inch Perch SH, a 28 DH Al Dente, and some other misc rods I use at bobber rods. I'm happy with all of the high end rods that I have bought so far.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good ol' Dave Genz with the big, fat cork handle. Tape it on with electrical tape like an ice rod should be!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 4 Thorne bros that I use regularly. 2 28" walleye sweethearts ( ones a med. hev.) a 32" perch sweetheart and a 30" dead stick. All have shimano reels. Thinking of getting a tuned up to try this season.

You won't be sorry. I absolutely love the two that I have. If I had any more room in my rod case, I'd probably get another one.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a tucr rod that compares to the thorne perch sh? As far are action and backbone?

- - - Updated - - -

Would that be the precision rod?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Good ol' Dave Genz with the big, fat cork handle. Tape it on with electrical tape like an ice rod should be!

I discovered self-fusing silicone tape 15 yrs ago at work and have never looked back! grippy, warmer than et, can be wrapped around the reel stem to keep it warm/cushy - love it!

nastro-in-silicone-autovulcanizzante.jpg

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
28" perch sweetheart w/sienna, 29" quiverstick w/size 20 president. Both custom made by gill getter and both run nanofil.

My other rods are a mess of scheels and gander rods that get used for bobbers mostly or when my better half comes with

i was with josh when he dropped one of those rods off to you at that gas station out of fargo as we were heading to a tournament.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is there a tucr rod that compares to the thorne perch sh? As far are action and backbone?

- - - Updated - - -

Would that be the precision rod?

I honestly think the precision is a little lighter than a Perch SH. I used that the majority of the time. I used the power precision when northern were likely to hanging around. $89 with recoil guides. I don't know why I can justify the cost for an ice rod but I balk at the sign of $100 for an open water rod. I'm an idiot.

- - - Updated - - -

also, the EVA grip is awesome.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member

nice setups other than the nanofil. There is no advantage at all whatsover in the universe on an ice fishing setup to use nanocrap. Unless you like to snap off big fish.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
nice setups other than the nanofil. There is no advantage at all whatsover in the universe on an ice fishing setup to use nanocrap. Unless you like to snap off big fish.

I landed a 49.5 inch sturgeon and a 42 inch pike on 6lb nano(45 minute fight and a 20 minute fight). Never had an issue as long as I used a flouro leader and didn't use my fingernails to clear the ice from the line. About every other trip I pull 15 feet of line off the reel and retie for fresh stuff. I did break nano a few times when tying direct and pulling ice build up with my finger nails instead of just my finger tips. It performs well when it's treated right, but can understand the frustration especially because it hates to be tied direct.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nanofil is weak. It sucks

I tend to disagree. 100+ pig eyes and 100+ wiley snot rockets in < 10 FOW last ice season and not one break off with 6lb nanocrap. A couple pike got through my 15lb flouro leader, but that was it.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
thr great ishmaels boss has spoken... Im sure in your mind you have caught more fish than anyone on this site...

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
thr great ishmaels boss has spoken... Im sure in your mind you have caught more fish than anyone on this site...

LOL!

- - - Updated - - -

I think you are one of the best crank guys I know, I just disagreed with nanofil. Let's have a cold one.:;:cheers

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76