Camper frames

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm thinking of getting rid of my pickup camper and going with a used 5th wheel and wondering what I need to know about the frames as far as adding a hitch to the rear for my boat.

Are there any brands to stay away from, or any to watch for because they have a better frame ? I paid attention to trailers while on the interstate and very few have rear receiver hitches and most have a tube bumper that doesn't look very beefy.

I'm not spending much on one , I'll just be using it for a couple fishing trips a year and letting grandkids use it for a playhouse so maybe that helps if older ones have a heavier frame ?

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
All of ours that we used to have, had receiver hitches on them and we had them welded directly to the frame. Some frames on campers are pretty chincy and I wouldn't pull a wagon behind them.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took my camper to the welding shop, he beefed up the cinchy tube bumper with angle iron that runs from one camper frame to the other and used 2" square steel tubing that is welded from the next frame in front of the bumper to 3 inches past the bumper.

I would recommend that the beefier you make it the better. Have seen a couple guys pulled over to the side of the road when the camper bumper fails and they are dragging the boat hitch down the road. ;:;badidea

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had Hitch n' Go Fargo did mine years ago on Laredo 5th wheel. They attach directly to frame.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had our 5th wheel and travel trailer done at Countryside in Jamestown. Heavy tube across the frame at the rear and a second piece four feet forward and linked with two heavy pieces of tube. Price was $980.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had our 5th wheel and travel trailer done at Countryside in Jamestown. Heavy tube across the frame at the rear and a second piece four feet forward and linked with two heavy pieces of tube. Price was $980.

Yikes , That confirms that I'll be doing it myself . I did one a few years ago that held and I should have enough material to work with. My biggest concern is if these frames were designed heavy enough to do this. I'll have to look at a couple and see what they look like.

- - - Updated - - -

My boat is fairly heavy and I'd hate to see it pass me going down the road, or worse yet hit a car.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
My 5th wheel was 37ft and it has a much heavier frame than my 27 ft travel trailer. I could have hauled anything I wanted to behind the 5th wheel, but I would be hesitant to pull one of those boats requiring tandem axles behind my travel trailer. I have the same concerns you do.
They had to move my electric jacks and work around my freshwater tank so it was more difficult on the travel trailer.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
yep, Ill weld up junk on the farm and hope it holds when it's no big deal if it fails but but out on the highway , no way. Hopefully it's a general rule of thumb that 5th wheel frames are heavier.

sdtransplant

Established Member
Have thought about doing this also , the one thing I would also do is get a camera on the back of the camper if you don't already have one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76