Walleyes and Bear

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm fricking pumped to hit the road tomorrow morning for Ontario!
Walleyes in the morning, bear in the evenings!

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
I went on a trip like that 4yrs ago in northern Ontario rainbow lake Lodge it was awesome its fun we ran into some sconies up there they had been walleye fishing for week and didn't catch one my bro and I caught our limit every morn it was fun giving them crap as we grilled fresh walleye and they were eating bass lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus we both shot bigger bear then them too ha-ha

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Unfortunately, not the way I hoped. I shot a good bear, thoughtI made a great hit, but did not recover it.

Got up thereThursday afternoon to hot temperatures. Our stands were 7 miles up the lake sowe went out Friday late morning to put up the stands. Plenty of sign, but thebaits hadn’t been hit. We spent the rest of the day learning the lake andcaught plenty of fish. First day to hunt was to be Saturday, but that afternoonthere was a tornado warning and several severe thunderstorm warnings so wecalled it off. It was about 90 degrees and the wind was wrong so didn’t botherme. The front that was coming had the right winds with it. We did go up and putsome more bait out though and found it had been hit Friday night. Sunday I gotinto the stand around 5, bait had been hit again Saturday night. About quarterto seven a pretty good bear was coming in. I had seen it early enough to be atthe right position and got a good enough look to see it was one I wanted. I wassurprised how good it looked. Really wasn’t sure how the hair would be inmid-august. Beautiful black with a beautiful chocolate on its muzzle. It camein north of the bait, stopped behind a mid-size evergreen checking shit out. Hetook two steps forward that put him at about 30 yards perfectly broadside.Couldn’t have asked for a better shot. I drilled him with my .375 win. With whatlooked like the perfect shot behind the shoulder. It knocked him flat off hisfeet, he was on the ground kicking all four feet, spinning around. Couldn’tbelieve it when he got up and ran into the woods again.

Here’s where I kick myself in the nuts inhindsight. He got into a spot north ofme where I could see him through a spot in the trees. I could only see black,but in my mind thought that another bullet into him would help, not knowing forsure what part of his body I was seeing. I drilled him again and all hell brokeloose. Roaring, growling, crashing, about a 3 inch diameter tree he knockedover crashed down. Pissed him off big time and apparently gave it one hell ofan adrenalin rush. In hindsight I believe he would have laid down soon andprobably bled out. When we started looking we had great blood………right up untilI shot again.

Monday spent 7hours, Tuesday 3.5 hours, Wed. and Thurs. went back basically hoping birds oranything could help us. No luck.

All in all, beautifulcountry, good fishing, just wish it had a better ending.

- - - Updated - - -

I typed that in outlook and copy/pasted it. Not sure why it eliminated many spaces between words, but it won't let me edit it. Also when I logged into NDA this morning the first thing I see is that article about tracking wounded deer with a dog. I can't say how many times that crossed my mind those few days.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
A you hit two bears and didn't recover either of them? Bummer. How was the walleye fishing.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
dockview.jpgcabinview.jpgeagle.jpgwoods.jpgbait.jpg

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sucks Terry, i was wondering how you made out. You, me and most others would've put that second bullet into him. It was the right call I think, just bad luck.... Looks like a nice place to get away for a bit anyways.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
That sucks.

And as far as the second shot, u have to. Keep shooting until it's dead. If u wouldn't have and he got away you would be saying u wish u would have.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
That front shoulder is tough on those bears. Can't shoot them like a deer. Have to go back into the ribs go for the double lung.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll bet the skeeters were terrible looking@ how dense the woods are.Tough deal for ya and the bear.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
The bugs were horrible, except for the short time I was in the stand. Didn't need the thermocell as there was enough breeze so that was good. Pretty much the rest of the time was doused in spray.
As far as the shoulder, the shot didn't hit the shoulder. I still feel like the shot looked right and he wasn't favoring a leg at all when he went off. It went down like a bear I shot several years ago, and the way it thrashed on the ground I'm still stunned he got up again. 220 grain round nose walloped the hell out of him. I have little doubt the bear was dead but how far he got into the thick stuff is one I'll think about for a long time.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
bummer man. sounds to me like you hit him high, maybe nicked shoulder/spine.
looks like nice country.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69