Setting the bar high

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have been watching way to many hunting shows. After seeing so many people shooting game at 40, 50, and 60 plus yards I got to thinking, bow hunting is fading farther and farther away from being up close and personal with game that we chase. I remember when 40 yards was way the hell out there and now it's taken like a 10 yard shot.

The gizmos and gadgets that are advertised are out of this world. Naming deer? WTF is that all about? I remember the days of finding rub and scrape lines and my imagination would run wild about what that buck might look like. That's all gone with trail cameras. Now a guy can know every deer in the area. Where is the surprise? It's all about if that buck is a SHOOTER. We are painting a bad picture for the future hunters and taking away from what bow hunting used to be..a challenge.

I have been shooting a bow for 27 years of my 31 years of life and have yet to kill a deer with traditional equipment. I learned to shoot with traditional equipment but gave that up at age 6. I got an ugly and I mean ugly bear recurve for my 13th birthday with the intent of getting back to traditional but gave it up for my longer range compound.

This year I have decided that I am going to take a few steps back and set the bar high. Leave the compound and rangefinder at home and tote that ugly ass bear around flinging old Easton 2117's tipped with 125gr magnus snuffers. Max range of 25 yards, time to get up close and personal again.

Sorry for the ramblings. So what would you guys be willing to give up this season?

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
yea it's probably to the point where the success rate is so damn high now we need to go to a lottery for bow hunting.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I have been watching way to many hunting shows. After seeing so many people shooting game at 40, 50, and 60 plus yards I got to thinking, bow hunting is fading farther and farther away from being up close and personal with game that we chase. I remember when 40 yards was way the hell out there and now it's taken like a 10 yard shot.

The gizmos and gadgets that are advertised are out of this world. Naming deer? WTF is that all about? I remember the days of finding rub and scrape lines and my imagination would run wild about what that buck might look like. That's all gone with trail cameras. Now a guy can know every deer in the area. Where is the surprise? It's all about if that buck is a SHOOTER. We are painting a bad picture for the future hunters and taking away from what bow hunting used to be..a challenge.

I have been shooting a bow for 27 years of my 31 years of life and have yet to kill a deer with traditional equipment. I learned to shoot with traditional equipment but gave that up at age 6. I got an ugly and I mean ugly bear recurve for my 13th birthday with the intent of getting back to traditional but gave it up for my longer range compound.

This year I have decided that I am going to take a few steps back and set the bar high. Leave the compound and rangefinder at home and tote that ugly ass bear around flinging old Easton 2117's tipped with 125gr So what would you guys be willing to give up this season?

Watching the hunting shows.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63