Lumps or growths on dogs

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Took Gunnar to the vet this afternoon for a lump that has started to develop on his belly about an inch back from his rib cage, its about the size of a dime in diameter, and a little under a 1/8 inch thick. We are waiting in the room, when the vet walks in with a syringe to take a sample for a biopsy, I look at her and said that might not work as it is not that big. She says, that's unusual as most people wait for them to get really big before they bring the dog in to have them checked, she was really surprised we brought him in so soon. The reason I'm bringing this up is because my brother in law had a lab that developed lumps, and he waited until they got big, and they ended up being cancerous, and the outcome was not good. So that being said, please don't wait to take your dog (family member, best buddy) to the vet if they start to develop lumps or growths, as the sooner they know what they are the sooner they can be treated. Gunnar's lump turned out to be just fatty tissue,:;:rockit and we were told to just keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse to bring him back to have it looked at again.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
When our elkhound/blue heeler cross finally passed on at 16, she had one about the size of a softball in the same area you describe. Vet always said not to worry, fatty tumor....

Last edited:

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Springer had/has one an they tested it. She said its fatty tissue, but now he has another, so Idk?

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
My GSP has them in about 7 different spots. Vet said when they get older they tend to get more and more of them.

Big Rax

Founding Member
Founding Member
My springer has two of them as well. He is 12 and the vet told us they are very common with age. I thought they might be something different as well but I guess I'm not a vet.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
She told me if it gets bigger she will take it off, and no she is not trying to rip me off, as I've known her for 25 years. I'd consider her a friend before I would a vet, although she is a very good vet.

jer79

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just had a mammary tumor removed from my 9 year old English setter. A few years ago I asked about a few small lumps,they said fatty tumors.Don't worry about it unless they get big etc. then a few months ago I noticed she had one on her belly and soon it was bigger than a golf ball. They took it out said its cancerous. I guess that's another good reason to spay a dog.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found a little one on my dog freaked out called.the.vet had him come in on.Saturday night. Just a fatty tumor vet is a great guy didn't charge any thing for.special visit and easing my mind.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dog gets old and things start to go down. Lumps are part of life. In my opinion you let nature take its course hunt em as long as they can my last shorthair had them all over. Didn't stop her

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
have a half shepherd half border collie. she had several small ones. they disappeared and now has a couple in different places. vet said they were nothing to worry about but if they got bigger they'd do a biopsy.

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
When our elkhound/blue heeler cross finally passed on at 16, she had one about the size of a softball in the same area you describe. Vet always said not to worry, fatty tumor....

:eek:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 63