smoke flavor ?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going to smoke a pork tenderloin (putting in a marinade over night), pork chops (putting a rub on them), 2 racks of baby back ribs ( putting a rub on these also). My questions are, is what is your go to smoke flavor for the items mentioned (these are all going in the smoker at once), and how long before you smoke, do you put the rub on? Will be using a Bradley 6 rack smoker so will be using wood bisquettes. Thanks!

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
IDK about all that, it sounds pretty damn fun and exciting. I can in confidence relay liquid smoke in a foil wrap left all day in your oven at 170 is acceptable. Key word "acceptable". Unwrap the pouches and turn up the heat for a crust. Definitely not as much fun.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apple with pork is my standard, I too use a 6 rack Bradley.

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to put the rub on at least 12 hours in advance. 24 hours if I'm on top of things. I'm with Juanr, apple and pork work well. I inject apple juice into loins, ribs I wrap in foil with apple juice inside after they have smoked for two hours. Then I open that up and put them back on the smoker for an hour after they have cooked wrapped for an hour. This really cooks the membranes down and cooks the fat off.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boston butt gets memphis rub and mustard/mollasses slather night before.

Then again, you could use anything (or nothing at all) and get good results with pork shoulder.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Apple or Hickory. Apple will be a sweet flavor and hickory will be a stronger smoke flavor

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Going with apple, do you guys use smoke the whole time, or just the first 2 hours? Planning on wrapping in foil after 2 hours, as I've read many smokers do this. If you don't use smoke the hole time do you use it the last hour? Thanks!

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not fussy with wood. Its all good. As far as when to rub I guess I'm different in that I rub my meat pretty much as the smoker is warming up. I have had stuff almost "cure" on me before doing it 12-24 hours in advance.

Meat only takes smoke for so long then you're wasting wood. If you wrap, smoking after the wrap won't have much affect af all.

Dad

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only smoke first 2-3 hours, as waste after meat is sealed up. At least that what I have been told.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder what a handful of menthol cigarettes would do?...

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have 2 racks of ribs on as I type. Picked up a masterbuilt yesterday and seasoned it last night. I went with a store bought rubs for the first go around and doctored it up with a little extra brown sugar and some seasonings. First time with this smoker so I'm doing the standards 3-2-1 method. Smoking with a mix of apple and hickory for the first 3 hours. Will wrap in foil with some apple cider and cook for 2 hours without smoke then unwrap and baste one rack with BBQ sauce and the other with more cider then smoke for the final hour. Smelling pretty good so far

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to put rubs on sooner with bigger, thicker cuts but often it is a couple hours only. I use chunks of solid hardwood if I can get them as sole heat source. 2nd choice is hardwood charcoal and chips for smoke. A thin blue haze is better for me than sending smoke signals- too much smoke will make a bitter, nasty product. Love apple with pork as well as maple and hickory. I like to use 2 or more species to add more depth of flavor. Peach, pear, plum, grape vine, cherry, sasafrass are all good.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
local grill master over here has some great advice for backyard grill masters,I like this one~

1 rack dry and I wet for the chef.

Wanted to add some heat to my ribs and try something new. Sure you can add crushed red pepper flakes or a spicy BBQ sauce but why do that. I used Reinhard Caught A Buzz sauce and some jalapeno peppers that I seeded and cut in half. Two racks of ribs. One with just the rub and one with the rub and the peppers and sauce. Took the ribs and took the back membrane off, smeared mustard on both sides, put the sliced peppers on one rack and then wrapped both racks in double foil.

I normally like to take my time and use the 2-2-1 method for baby backs but that day wasn't normal so I had to hurry up the process. used my Char-Griller barrel type smoke/grill with the side fire box. Did the ribs on in-direct heat the whole time. In foil a couple of hours and then took the foil off. The one with just the rub I spritzed with a mix of brandy and apple juice. Put the sauce on the one with the peppers. My wife and her mom like sauce on the side for dipping and I want the whole deal. Temp in the grill was around 300 to 325 the whole time. Next time I'm going to leave some seeds in those peppers. There was some heat but I don't mind a little more. Served the ribs with rice that had some sesame oil and soy sauce on it. I also put some red pepper flakes on my rice. Here are some pics. good luck.]

ribs.jpg

I'm a fan of apple wood for pork,hickory smoke can be over whelming,pecan has a great mild flavor as well.

nxtgeneration

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks tasty snow.

Thinking about trying these (http://www.smoking-meat.com/july-3-2014-shrimp-cream-cheese-stuffed-jalapenos) along with some wings this weekend if we don't end up going out of town. I made some bacon wrapped, pheasant stuffed jalapeno poppers last fall/winter in the oven and they were fantastic. I would imagine smoking them would add an entire new level to the awesomeness.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 75