Boat windshield cover

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm tired of putting the tarp on and off and I see a lot of people using these now. What are some good options? 2012 Ranger Reata 1850.

SLE

★★★★★ Legendary Member
you have two options, truXedo and Flackjacket. I use a truXedo without issue however I've been told the FlackJacket is a fair bit nicer but also comes with a higher price tag.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use the Truxedo and it works great! I also checked out the Flack jacket and it was about $100 more if I recall.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think Jigaman is asking more about a windshield cover than the flying rock protectors from underneath the trucks. Flack jacket and Truxedo are more for the rocks down low, aren't they?

I bought a strap on windshield protector from Cabela's and I've used it 50% of the time. Sometimes I'm lazy and don't put it back on before traveling home and sometimes I don't add it back on until I get home so it's ready for the next trip up to the water. It was only $90 and it fits like a T. No issues. I don't travel with my tarp on; NoDak wind and weather patterns make tarps lose 1/2 their age, IMHO.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think Jigaman is asking more about a windshield cover than the flying rock protectors from underneath the trucks. Flack jacket and Truxedo are more for the rocks down low, aren't they?

Flackjaket has a trailer mounted system for catching rocks off tires as well as a windshield protector. The windshield protector is probably the best product on the market and I say that mainly because of its mounting system. ran a truxedo for a few years and always hated having to undo the whole thing if a guy needed to walk through the window or get another rod out of the locker. The flack jaket has a zipper built in to avoid that mess.

With that said, trying to source a windshield, waiting on delivery/installation and the overall cost, spend the money on a good product to avoid that headache.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't be cheap, buy the Flack Jaket. It's worth the extra money for a perfect fit and it takes just seconds to put on and take off without having to adjust straps. The zipper is nice for when a guy is tinkering around in the garage in the boat and not having to take the cover off to open the window. Windows aren't cheap so why chance it with a cheap cover?

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is Flackjacket made at Outlaw Tarps or is it a different company?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have put one side of a windshield in a boat, had to buy both sides as that was the only way they sold them, It was in the $2,500 mark about 4 years ago, sure its probably doubled now, however insurance paid for all but $300 of it, so it wasn't the worst.
Travel cover has never come off when traveling ever since that mistake.

Zogman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Finest Auto Trim in GF has made a few similar to Flackjaket, however theirs covers the inside also. Drops over the dash, gauges, depth finder gps etc. I had two made and I know a couple of guys that had some made.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don’t consider myself cheap but I don’t have money to burn either. I have had a Truxedo for several years and like it just fine. It does what it’s supposed to do.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree on the Truxedo. It is solid enough for the price and fits a lot of boats. I have been happy with mine.

Ruddy Duck

Honored Member
I've had both and prefer the flackjaket. Both are cheaper than my insurance deductible and those windshields are a disaster when they shatter.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put on a Flak Jacket last summer. I was very pleasently surprised how easy initial install was.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77