Name that bullet

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
American Eagle 50gr Varmint Tipped

Fed.jpg

A few weeks back I was blasting prairie dogs with an assortment of factory 223 rounds out of my 16in AR.
I was really impressed with these rounds. They seemed to create carnage similar to the 22-250 my brother was shooting -- at least inside of 200 yards.
The other rounds in my assortment... not so much. They certainly kill, but without that 'pink mist' effect that I'm used to with the 22-250.

So now the question is: what is that 50 grain gray polymer tipped bullet?
I'd like to get some to try out in hand loads, but I'm not initially finding the answer on the internets.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
im not sure. but i just bought 400 of these from palmettostatearmory for deer season. 5.99/20
going to be using my suppressed sbr ar OR my SHORT ar pistol with sig arm brace
oh, and 40 rd pmags ;)

now that i think of it, do you think i underbought?! darnit....... might have to get some more

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
im not sure. but i just bought 400 of these from palmettostatearmory for deer season. 5.99/20
going to be using my suppressed sbr ar OR my SHORT ar pistol with sig arm brace
oh, and 40 rd pmags ;)

now that i think of it, do you think i underbought?! darnit....... might have to get some more
You under bought. I picked up 1,000.

I believe the projectile is Federal's copycat of Hornady Vmax but can't say for sure. Don't think I've ever seen the grey tip other than these AE loads.

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would say something along the line of a hornady v-max barnes varment grenade or a Sierra blitzing

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm starting to think that either Federal makes these themselves, or they have a special run with one of the bullet companies to use gray tips instead of their normal color.
I'm pretty sure it's not a v-max. While those are good bullets, I wasn't getting the dog explosions I was consistently getting with the Federals.
I guess I should pull one and get a closer look. The base shape would help narrow this down a bit.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did anyone ever find more info on this bullet? I'd like to put together a ballistic table but I don't know the BC. (I'm new...) I suppose I could shoot an email to Federal and find out.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like partitions for deer sized on up and amax's for everything else.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 70
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57