Automotive wiper blades

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
PSA
I know we have pretty much beat this topic to death.

But.

I recently had to replace my wipers and checked in with the Toyota dealer on what the cost would be for my pickup.
I was surprised to see the cost just for the inserts alone was $9.95/each. So rather than going the aftermarket, replace the wiper/insert/holder in one piece from your local auto parts store, I have decided to go with just the inserts for now. I get pretty good life out of them for how we store/drive our vehicle. And I can't beat the price either.

Perhaps this post will help someone else out.

Big Iron

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently discovered wiping my blades down with a rag soaked in WD40 gets me another season of use.

Pretty neat.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I recently discovered wiping my blades down with a rag soaked in WD40 gets me another season of use.

Pretty neat.

Hmmm.. that is interesting. Does the wd soften them up? And it leaves no smeary film?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

Pretty neat.

This is awesome , iv'e wondered what would/could work for this . Nothing worse than wiper chatter when it's just a sprinkle. Thanks for the tip.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Use aquapel windshield treatment, you'll thank me later. It's like rainX on crack and lasts more than a year.

Wallike

★★★ Legendary Member
I also have a method that reduces windshield chatter and elongates blade life. Wait for a nice hot day lift the wipers off the windshield. coat them with Vaseline, let them set for an hour then wipe them dry.
I like that aquapel idea and going to try it. I've done the same with Rain-X but it didn't seem to last as long as the aquapel touts. Thanks MSA!

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried RainX more than once and found that there are qualities of how bugs smear etc. that drove me nuts. Hard to explain it but I found myself preferring not using it. Anybody else try RainX and abandon it after a while?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorta seemed great at first and then caused issues - hard for me to describe what it was (been a long time) - in a hard rain it was great but mist or passing vehicles made seeing harder - not easier.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried RainX more than once and found that there are qualities of how bugs smear etc. that drove me nuts. Hard to explain it but I found myself preferring not using it. Anybody else try RainX and abandon it after a while?

- - - Updated - - -

Sorta seemed great at first and then caused issues - hard for me to describe what it was (been a long time) - in a hard rain it was great but mist or passing vehicles made seeing harder - not easier.

I just used rain x washer fluid but noticed the same thing, it left an oily looking haze on the windshield.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Seems like the cheap ones are just as good as the more expensive one, I always buy 2 sets

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You should have keep that a secret. Trojan sales are gonna plummet. :;:cheers

But thanks for the tip.

I tried it, but it doesn't work on the tip.

- - - Updated - - -

<><><>
I also found if I periodically clean the dirt/dust off of the insert itself it helps out in life of the wiper insert and how it performs.

I used to just clean the windows, but now clean the insert's edge too.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
They also say just wet a towel with some vinegar and wipe down the wiper blades. It removes and dirt/grime and makes them perform like new.

risingsun

Founding Member
Founding Member
Vinegar is a wonder liquid. The uses are endless. This may be a new one for me.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76