Salem Ice Cabins

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody own one, or know anyone that has one? Good, bad? Looking at biting the bullet on a permanent this year. I want one I can use for hunting and camping as well, so a water system is preferred. Obviosly wont be using plumbing in the winter, but for hunting and camping it would be very nice. I think only one model of the Salems has the plumbing. All of the rv line of ICs have it.

The Salem ice cabins look real nice, but haven't seen one in person. The newer ICs look nice as well but havent heard much on the rv line. I really like the yettis and lodges, but a bit out of my price range. Would also appreciate any feedback from anyone who owns a 2013 or newer ice castle. The new ones look really nice, but curious on how the last few years models are holding up. Thanks

Last edited:

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Only issue I see with the salems is the paneling on the walls. Can't see that holding up to the moisture the cedar in the others will. Nice looking units though.

BBQBluesMan

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea, I guess I never thought of the paneling on the outside. They do look sharp, I just havent heard much at all about em. I've searched other forums, and havent found a lot of discusion on these units. The few reviews I have seen were good.

Last edited:

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, from what I know, they're basically made by the same company as the forest river line, the cascade and the grey wolf. I owned a 8x20 forest river. The paneling looks nice but takes moisture on, so I went through the work of clear coating the entire inside to moisture lock it. The rubber floor was awesome in mine. I had the toy hauler, but not with water. The queen bed in the back was great. Mine had insulated floor. I really liked that as well. Overall, they're built great. They pull like a tank with the flat front though. For sure stick with V front if possible. When it was super cold out that big house needed heat subsidy. I'm talking like -20 cold. So I either ran a buddy for the first hour in the back or ran an electric with my generator. Once it's warm in there, it stays warm easier. IMO, they're built better than ice castle, but I haven't been in a brand new one yet.

Thats my .02.

220swift

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brother in law had a Salem house that he traded off for a Ice Castle. After he fished out of my Ice Castle he claimed it stayed warmer then the Salem did. The one thing I didn't like about the Salem is how slow the electic jacks are, and they seem to use alot of battery to run up and down. Besides the jacks I thought is as an alright house.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66