Coleman Xtreme Coolers?

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to pick up a couple of 120qt coolers for elk/deer hunting. Do you guys have any experience with this cooler? Just looking for something to leave in the truck during elk season without having to worry about it being stolen. Only other use will be out at the lake, so I don't need anything too expensive. In other words, I'm not willing to spend $1k on a couple of yeti coolers.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cole...=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=04049104&rid=20

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those 120Qt igloo coolers are like $60-$65 at Sam's Club and can fit a whole quartered elk. Haven't used the the Coleman ones.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked up the 72 qt @ Fleet Farm last week. Meh, it works. There was a lot of opening and closing, packed full with not a lot of room for ice. Worked for a weekend but hard to really know. Sorry for the useless review. Will test it some more this week and get back to you.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those 120Qt igloo coolers are like $60-$65 at Sam's Club and can fit a whole quartered elk. Haven't used the the Coleman ones.

Yep, bought mine in '02. I've replaced 2 latches, 1 hinge, and need to replace another hinge. I've hauled 9 elk (not all at once you smart-asses) and countless deer. You can get the meat from 1 boned out elk and 15-20# of ice into that cooler. If I were bowhunting in Sept, I might want either a 2nd cooler or at least a bigger one that held more ice, but, since I'm rifle hunting in Oct/Nov what I've got works well and takes up a LOT less room than 2 of those big buggers.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a 120 igloo that I have had for several years, works as good as any cooler for what you would want.
I would be willing to sell it to you for a few $$$, it is in great shape, has only been used for beverages, all the hasps and hinges are in great shape.

Let me know, I live in Dickinson.

$40 o.b.o. and it yours, think I paid around $70 or so for it new 6 years ago.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, bought mine in '02. I've replaced 2 latches, 1 hinge, and need to replace another hinge. I've hauled 9 elk (not all at once you smart-asses) and countless deer. You can get the meat from 1 boned out elk and 15-20# of ice into that cooler. If I were bowhunting in Sept, I might want either a 2nd cooler or at least a bigger one that held more ice, but, since I'm rifle hunting in Oct/Nov what I've got works well and takes up a LOT less room than 2 of those big buggers.

I'll be out in September, so that's why I'm planning on taking two 120qt. I'm going to load them up with milk jug blocks and dry ice, and then wrap them in reflectix insulation while they are sitting in the box of the truck. Once the ice is in, they won't be opened again until the elk is going in (hopefully), so I'm thinking it will easily last 7-10 days with the dry ice in there.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, Sept is a whole 'nother ball of wax compared to late Oct or early Nov. Were I going in Sept, honestly I'd probably just do the freezer/trailer/generator deal.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Or pick the ice up after you shoot the elk and have him all packed into your cooler!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, Sept is a whole 'nother ball of wax compared to late Oct or early Nov. Were I going in Sept, honestly I'd probably just do the freezer/trailer/generator deal.

I thought about going this route, but I won't be around the truck to keep the generator filled up. I won't be coming out until there is an elk down or it's time to leave. How long do you think the dry ice would last? If the temps are like they were last year, I want to get the meat on ice ASAP.

Fishing Fanatic

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have the bigger Coleman extreme and I think it does its job. Paid like 60$ for it. Filled it up to go on the river on a Sunday and per usual I didn't clean it out after I got home. Was in my garage till Thursday when I opened it up and it still had ice in it. Which impressed me. Also picked up two of those big 150 qt igloo coolers last week at SAMs club for 70$ a piece. And as said before they are perfect for elk! After how well we did last year in Montana I figured two more wouldn't hurt at 70$.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sept in the mountains of MT you will generally be fine with a Coleman Extreme holding ice for as long as you need. If you're hunting the breaks or lower elevations you may need to top her off after you get meat in there but that's no big deal... Pre chill coolers, and freeze anything you can for the food/drink cooler and use blocks and frozen jugs in the ice cooler along with a few bags.

The only time I've really wished for a better cooler is antelope hunting in WY for a week in early Sept....

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought about going this route, but I won't be around the truck to keep the generator filled up. I won't be coming out until there is an elk down or it's time to leave.

When Moose hunting we didn't start the generator/freezer until my buddy got his moose. Started it all up when the 1st load of meat went in. The freezer was ambient ~75 degree air temp when he started it and the meat was cool by morning. We ran the generator all the way home except for about 7hrs we slept in a hotel and didn't want to anger the other guests. When we got home the meat was just starting to crystalize a little bit. The meat was in there ~30hrs with about a 7hr time when the freezer/generator weren't running over night.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had both, get the igloo at SAMs club. Pack some frozen milk jugs in with loose ice. Mine had ice after day 7 on the 4th of July this year. Was impressed. Taking it to Wyoming for antelope end of September.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77