Deer backstraps on the traeger.. what do you guys like to do?

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey guys, i got a few things of backstraps in the freezer that i took out to cook on my traerger grill. was wondering what you guys like to do? any marinades or seasonings you prefer? how about cook times and methods?

thanks alot!

-Not Jay

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like to leave them whole or halved, depending on what's needed (ie. not cut into steaks). Light coating of olive oil and season with sea salt and course ground black pepper. Sear on a hot grill all sides, they should be medium rare when all sides are seared. That's it.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
thats how i do mine to i dont think the treager will get hot enough for a good sear

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
backstrap3.jpg
backstrap2.jpg
backstrap.jpg

Butterfly strap, season inside and out with garlic salt and pepper. Add pats of butter to the inside of strap and close strap again. Wrap in bacon securing with toothpicks and cook on grill using a meat thermometer until medium rare(the one pictured was done just a hair more than I like because it continued to cook during the rest so remove a little earlier than desired temp). This is about as good as wild game gets in my book.

silentbob

Founding Member
Founding Member
thanks alot! that looks amazing. will have to get the bacon out on this one.

deleted_account

Founding Member
Founding Member
That makes me want to shoot a yearling and nom Nom Nom back straps in a couple weeks.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Bacon wrap looks tasty! But my favorite but a lot more work is to Make Venison Wellington. Google Beef Wellington recipes and just substitute Venison...

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
The Bacon wrap looks tasty! But my favorite but a lot more work is to Make Venison Wellington. Google Beef Wellington recipes and just substitute Venison...

Beef Wellington is one of my favorite all-time foods. Gordon Ramsey's version is what put him on the map. I bet that would be awesome with a backstrap!

By the way Captain, that dish you made looks outstanding.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75