Slough eyes come fall

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
How does one approach walleye fishing in the slough lakes come fall? Never done it. In traditional lakes one goes deep during the transition (unstable weather patterns). In sloughs just 15-20 ft and bowl shaped does that still apply?

Pinecone

Founding Member
Founding Member
hey guywhohadthesalmonthread. I read in the paper they declared a new state record 24# 8 oz.
And I don't know how to slough fish:;:huh

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would try and stay in the weeds a lot of the sloughs I fish are not much deeper than 12 feet.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
They go back to shallows unless they go deeper.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
OK, so nobody really knows for sure.

I'll just keep struggling to catch slough eyes. One of these days I'll figure them out. :cool:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's what I've done. Only works with at least two people in the boat unless you have great reaction speed. One person trolls spinners/lindys/slow deaths while the other pitches jigs/cranks into shore or shallower areas. Find em and choose a tactic.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's what I've done. Only works with at least two people in the boat unless you have great reaction speed. One person trolls spinners/lindys/slow deaths while the other pitches jigs/cranks into shore or shallower areas. Find em and choose a tactic.

standard procedure... Cept for the horrific trolling part

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you can find any structure such as humps, dips, or rocks they will be there. Also points will hold them. If it is an endless abyss of nothingness you will have to troll BB and spinners or cranks until you find the baitfish because that tends to be the only link there. Which typically has little rhyme or reason. Good luck and happy trolling.;)

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
For me on a new slough I look for a deeper water edge close to shore so that there are weeds growing close to the edge also humps, points. I spent some time just cruising the water watching the depth finder to find fish or bait once I find them I cast cranks or gulp if they are there you will find out in short order. Maybe its me but my colors of choice is dark brown in gulp on small water.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
pack some Stella's, buy some dare devils, and get after it..jeeesh #guywhowantsittheeasyway.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks for tips everyone. Yes, I just need to get out there and try to catch those slough eyes. Hope I can crack the code and figure out a non-trolling approach that works.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess, if you really need help, I can go with you.

I am sure he does not want to have you along, he is looking for you to find the fish, catch a few, then give him the exact location, bait, and jig color...haha
#guywhowantstipsnotbuddies

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am sure he does not want to have you along, he is looking for you to find the fish, catch a few, then give him the exact location, bait, and jig color...haha
#guywhowantstipsnotbuddies

Hey, I provide great company!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 111
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84