Crawfish

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
So, two weeks ago I was shorefishing at night, in the Missouri River. Saw crawfish everywhere. I bet I could have caught 50 or more, ranging in size from 1" up to +5", in less than one hour. I'm thinking "hmm, walleyes are gonna feast".

Also, lot of smelt and maybe other baitfish in very shallow (few inches) water.

Fast forward to last night, and the smelt are still there, but not one crawfish, and I looked specifically.

Do they migrate? Did they get eaten? Did aliens get 'em?

wildeyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
a friend of mine use to eat the hell out of crawfish he caught on the river. He wanted me to try them and I told him to call me the next time he made some. he died before we could, so the next time I see a lot of crawfish on the river I will try some

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have caught some, but I was afraid they were gonna get me, with their little claws.

Now they're gone. And like I said, I looked pretty carefully last night. I didn't overturn rocks, but...

Lycan - Still smelt jumping in shallow water. Very lively like. I carry a small net, and I could have caught plenty. they're not big like you buy at Landers, but they'd be perfect nordurn bait in the winter.

I'm pretty new to this site, is there a way to PM someone? Must be... I'm not very tech savvy...

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
haha, they are intimidating with those claws and all.

My drunken farm friends brother would catch em out of the antelope creek and eat them like popcorn, was always very gross looking as the water and juice was flowing down his chin and neck. Of course he was always shit faced when he decided to grill em and eat em, so not sure if that is the norm..haha

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would have caught some, but I was afraid they were gonna get me, with their little claws.

Now they're gone. And like I said, I looked pretty carefully last night. I didn't overturn rocks, but...

Lycan - Still smelt jumping in shallow water. Very lively like. I carry a small net, and I could have caught plenty. they're not big like you buy at Landers, but they'd be perfect nordurn bait in the winter.

I'm pretty new to this site, is there a way to PM someone? Must be... I'm not very tech savvy...

Tailrace? What sizes are you seeing?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79