Car key question

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bought my daughter a car and it came with only one key and a car FOB. Right away we went out and got a copy of the key made for a backup. Well, last night she decides to put the backup key in her pocket while she was golfing since her normal key chain has about 20 different things hanging on it (if you have a teenage girl, I'm sure you know what I'm talking about). Seems like a good idea, but the spare key won't open any of the doors or hatch. The locksmith guy that got us into her car said that he's starting to see more of this happen. Apparently the ignition and the key used to start the vehicle wear down at roughly the same rate, but if all that has ever been used to unlock the car is the FOB, the door locks won't match up anymore and you can't get in. Anyway, what's the best backup plan? Do you think I could take the # off of the ignition switch and get one cut from that? Buy a backup key fob? Any ideas on prices for either of those? Sorry for the long ramble and thanks for any help.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you for asking. I learned something too, Now I know why I have a key that will start my car but it won't unlock the doors. I've been scratching my head on that one.

Ericb

Founding Member
Founding Member
The dealership can make a key with the Vin #. You'll need the registration and dl of the owner. My money left her car hear last year but took the key back to AZ and it took a lot of work but they finally made us one. Depending on the year of the car you may have to go threw a reprogramming process if it's chipped.

FightingSioux

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put in an auto start to get a new key fob. Then you have two problems solvd

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't lose or lock your key in the car. Seems like an easier and less costly option. Just a thought. :)

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Schlock sin Minot did my daughters.m no issues. They filed it down to get the tumblers to work. VW keys run about 90 a key Btw.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had heard that on newer vehicles avoid the hardware store made keys. I don't remember the reason why, but I thought it had some electronic connection. I don't remember the last time I put a key in a door. #fobisready

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There's too much technology for a hillbilly to keep up with , Our car has a chip in the key so it takes a special blank to make a spare that will work in the ignition, My Boys car doesn't even have an ignition switch or a key it's push button start. I wonder how long before thieves build an electronic device that scans and enables keyless cars.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mrs johnrs new explorer doesn't even have an ignition key, just a push button on the dash

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I got a new pickup it was weird not having to take the key or fob out of your pocket to unlock the door just stick your hand in the handle and it will unlock. Pickup is push button start also doesn't even have a spot for the key in the dash.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
Some keys have little chips in them, getting spares is spendy $$$

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81