First ever attempt at pulled pork.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started out with 2 pieces of Boston butt.
20150822_222155.jpg
I decided to make a homemade dry rub. It consisted of chili powder garlic salt season salt and pepper. Then I made a brine for it to sit in over night. I used apple juice minced garlic soy sauce and worcester sauce. I covered this in tinfoil and let it sit overnight.
20150822_223543.jpg
I let the meat sit out and got to about 60 degrees then put in the smoker at 220-240 for 8 hours. I cooked it till internal temp was 190. I used apple wood for the smoke. Of course I didn't have any of that wood on hand so had to go cut some braces off a friends tree. This worked great I will never buy apple wood again.
20150823_170905.jpg

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
where do you buy these at? I have never smoked anything (meat that is) but my neighbor has a tragaer sitting in his garage that he never uses. Thought maybe I should borrow it...

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
The prep looks pretty good. Doesn't look like you know how to pull it though as you'd need a mighty big bun to make a sammich outta those 2 pieces.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
It shredded very good forgot to get a picture. Was to busy thinking about eating it to get a picture.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want faster, juicier pork, try these two things:

1. The Texas Sweat: when your internal temperature stalls around 150, pull off your meat and wrap it in tinfoil. Place back on the heat. It's like jogging in a rain coat. The meat will still sweat but won't lose heat. This will cut at least 2 hours off your cook time.
2. Cook to an internal temp of AT LEAST 190, then remove and allow to cool to almost room temperature. NOTHING WILL WRECK A PORK BUTT LIKE TEARING INTO IT WHILE IT'S STILL HOT.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have always wrapped my ribs in foil after the smoking to finish cooking. I will have to try it the next time I made pulled pork. The batch a made was really moist but I didn't trim fat before cooking so that probably helped.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've only ONCE in my life wanted to eat butt so bad....We won't talk about the other time. Looks delish!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
If anyone is looking for fresh pork im taking two butcher hogs to Maple valley locker in Enderlin on Sept 2nd. Will be selling one hog. Just let me know if you want some. They have been eating sweet corn,apples and plums for the past month. Very good tasting meat.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just made 20 lbs of butts this weekend too. Was my first shot. Turned out great. Had a lot of great compliments. Here's what I did: put a coat of honey mustard on the then rubbed generously with premade rub and a little brown sugar. Let sit overnight. The morning of, I injected them all with apple juice. Put on the smoker with an apple/hickory wood mix. Smoked around 225 to 250 until IT of 160 degrees. Put them in a foil pan and wrapped in foil with apple juice on the bottom of the pan. Back on smoker at same temp until IT of 205. Pulled and let them rest for 2 hours in a cooler wrapped in towels. Took them out and pulled them (very easy to pull). Sprinkled a bit more rub on all the meat. Was very juicy and tasted awesome. All my guests loved it. Total smoker time was about 10/11 hrs.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those cook times seem short. In my dual element Bradley at 220F (measured just under the butt) my two butts take at least 14 hours (overnight). Then again I don't wrap in foil so the stall alone (140-150ish) seems to take a good 4-5 hours sometimes.

All I do is a Memphis rub along with a mustard/molasses slather the day before they go in. Cook to IT of 190F then foil/towel/cooler until serving. If not eating both after a few hours I vac bag the extra one whole - still in the foil. To serve later I use the sous vide to get them back to 185F or so prior to serving.

I sometimes think they are better having been frozen whole and rewarmed (but NOT cooked past 190 when re-heating). But it's maybe just in my head.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those cook times seem short. In my dual element Bradley at 220F (measured just under the butt) my two butts take at least 14 hours (overnight). Then again I don't wrap in foil so the stall alone (140-150ish) seems to take a good 4-5 hours sometimes.

All I do is a Memphis rub along with a mustard/molasses slather the day before they go in. Cook to IT of 190F then foil/towel/cooler until serving. If not eating both after a few hours I vac bag the extra one whole - still in the foil. To serve later I use the sous vide to get them back to 185F or so prior to serving.

I sometimes think they are better having been frozen whole and rewarmed (but NOT cooked past 190 when re-heating). But it's maybe just in my head.

I think cook times are variable given the smoker you use, how big of a butt, etc. I figured my 20 lbs (two 8.5 lbers and one 4 lber) would take longer than 10 hrs, but it didn't. I will admit there were probably times when my smoker was up closer to 250, but it still cooked faster than expected.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
BTW, if you vac a whole butt you should refrigerate overnight before pulling a vacuum.

This allows the fat to solidify so that when the vacuum is pulled the "orange oil" doesn't all come pouring out of the roast.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a big propane smoker. Thats probably is the reason it cooks faster than one of them little ones.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77