Breaking in a shot gun

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
This new Beretta that I picked up a month ago states in the manual that a guy should shoot light trap loads through it for the first shots fired. I have never heard of this before, nor have I ever read the manual that comes with a gun. I picked the gun up in Bismarck and was reading it as mrs johnr drove us back to town. Seemed better than just starring out the window.Is this step really needed? not that it is an issue, but what happens if I don't "break" in a barrel?

bigcatpike

Founding Member
Founding Member
It probably won't hurt it if you don't use trap loads fist, but I would run them through it first anyway just to get used to the gun and make sure everything is working properly.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
John,go through the gun with a lite oil like Mpro7,make sure you clean up any or all packing grease left on the inner working parts once you remove the forend,and yes its a good idea to run 25/50 trap loads through it,use 2.75 dram or 3dr to loosen up your new thunder stick.Which model did ya land on?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
A400 extreme
Pretty excited about this year's rooster Fiesta

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sweeeet! shoot a few rds on the pattern board,this gun shoots really flat 50/50.you'll see what I'm tal;king about right away,but great choice!

wby257

Founding Member
Founding Member
A shotgun has no memory.So there is no break in period unlike a Rifle. Just take it out and shoot it. I have never seen a shotgun with grease in them. Take it out and shoot it, It will do just fine.

7mmMag

Founding Member
Founding Member
A shotgun has no memory.So there is no break in period unlike a Rifle. Just take it out and shoot it. I have never seen a shotgun with grease in them. Take it out and shoot it, It will do just fine.

Thumbs UpThumbs Up

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
some gun shops clean up these shotguns as they come in,some don't,packing grease eliminates possible corrosion during shipping and is usually found layered on the magazine tube and receiver moving parts and if not cleaned up will collect grit and powder residue,just a suggestion.

Goose Slayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I picked up a super Vinci awhile back and the manual said to shoot some heavy loads threw it to break in the inertia system.. it had some problems with light trap load until I "broke it in".. now it's flawless.. suppose that's different with gas guns tho

Last edited:

ElDuderino

Founding Member
Founding Member
My Maxus was loaded with oil and grease. First thing I did was break it down and clean it the best I could. After a 100 rounds I had to wipe it back down because the oil was everywhere.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
From my understanding and "research" I did when I bought my Stoeger 3500, it's more of a break-in for the action, not the barrel. It can't hurt to go out and shoot a few rounds of clays just to get the feel of it. Like you I had never heard of breaking in a shot gun, but I hadn't bought on since my 870 25yrs ago and god knows that thing had a rough break in, along with a rough life!

For what its worth, that Stoeger was full of grease and gunk when I took it out of the box. The mag tube was horrible, I couldn't believe it when I started running patches down that tube and they were covered in gunk.

Last edited:

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
Getting the corrosion-protecting grease out of the gun is very important if you buy an imported rifle or handgun. Cosmoline in the barrel is an obstruction! Grease in the bolt 9or whatever feeds the cartridge) will attract dirt and the bolt/firing pin won't work when it's cold.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have never seen a shotgun with grease in them.

Then you've obviously never bought nor assembled new in the box shotguns as they all come with factory packing grease caked on them, Browning being the "greasiest" with the two Italians being a close second.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75