Vinegar based bbq sauce

sd fisherman

Founding Member
Founding Member
After reading the pulled pork post, I think I will put a butt in the smoker this weekend. Do any of you have a tried and true recipe for a vinegar based BBQ sauce. I had some vinegar based sauces in North Carolina that were awesome and have had a hard time duplicating any of them. I really prefer the vinegar sauces to the sweet tomato sauces.

Thanks

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not exactly what you are asking for... But we drizzle this "Vaunted Vinegar" on the shredded pork with a tiny ladle... then add Famous Dave's Rich and Sassy to taste.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?124-Vaunted-Vinegar-Sauce-For-Pulled-Pork

My brother makes Korean ribs (in HI) and this simple type of vinegar sauce is all they use there... the vinegar sauces cut the pork fat somehow and the combination of dry rub style korean ribs dipped in this vinegar is to die for.

- - - Updated - - -

You WILL cough when you make it. :D

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I mix a 50/50 of apple cider vinegar and water in a spray bottle, I then spray my pork ribs/ roast/ chops with a few mists of mixture on each side. Apply a dry rub, smoke, then finish on the grill to a medium temp, and while grilling spray a few more mists on each side.

It seems to really tender up the meat and allow for the rub/smoke to penetrate into the meat more so than when I don't do this.

I add sauce only when wanted, and only on the last step of it being on the grill.

you don't taste the vinegar at all, but you can sure tell the difference in the tenderness and smokiness of the meat when this step is skipped.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77