rod weight/fish size

Timmy Hoffarth

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been fly fishing for one season now and have a 9' 6# fly rod. Was thinking of looking for an 8#.
What's y'alls opinion on an 8# for pike.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never fly fished for anything other than trout and pan fish. Largest I've used is a 6 weight, but sold that for a 5 weight. I know guys who have used at 6 weight for bass so an 8 may be about right for pike.

Sorry I don't have any 1st hand information....however, that would be a hoot landing a pike on a fly rod.

Timmy Hoffarth

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a thrill when you get a strip-stike. I HIGHLY suggest you try it.
Also going to try for walleye and perch on the fly.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
9 or 10 wt from throwing big Pike flies....but you could catch one on a 3 wt...Ive caught quite a few pike and a couple muskie on flies.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started fly fishing 'way back when a 7wt was considered the all-round rod. Due to improved rod materials, it's now 5wt. For pike, I use a 9' 9wt rod. I tie my own simple leaders consisting of 4 or 5 feet of cheap, stiff 60# mono that's sold in blister wrap in "mart" stores. the tippet is a few feet of 20 or 25# fluorocarbon leader material, which pike can't bite through. Since knotting that leader is a pain, I use a black crosslock snap to hold the fly, most often a Clouser minnow. For a good comparison test of fly rods, check out YellowstoneAngler.com.
See you on the Devils Lake shallows.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I fish an 8 wt for pike. Throws the big flies just fine, but try to think of any other opportunity you may have before you get a new weight rod. Might be in your best interest to jump to 9 wt if you'll ever fish steelhead, salmon, some saltwater fish etc.

Timmy Hoffarth

Founding Member
Founding Member
I also tie my own flies and hope to be on the hunt for eyes and perch. I would like to have a nine only I'm not sure a good place to get a good nine reel.

Also what flies work good. I'm looking to try some bait fish styles. Maybe Angus and zonkers.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've caught Walleyes on Clouser minnows,decieivers and small black bunnies. Sink tip line. 2x tippit. Perch colors for the clouser and deceiver black leech for the bunnys

Timmy Hoffarth

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey thanks muskie.
Was thinking of tying a shrimp pattern to see how it works for perch. I heard others have good luck on them. What depths do you have the best luck in. Deepest I've fished so far with a fly is 8 foot of water.
And norkse if I see ya or any other fly rods in action I'll defenatly say hi.

muskelllunge13

Founding Member
Founding Member
My best luck fishing just for walleye was in the Missouri river fishing right at dark, wading out to above the knees and casting clouser and deceivers...not that deep. But people catch them deeper fishing with sink lines just like jig fishermen. The Freshwater Fishing Hall of Fame record walleye(12.7lbs) for a 6lb tippit was caught up at McGreggor Dam in Nodak in November when trout fishing with a sinking line and a leech pattern fly when the fisherman was fishing for trout back 20 years ago in a float tube. Tie some small beadhead wooley buggers for the perch (work for all panfish)

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Timmy,

Check out the Sabalos by Wright and McGill. Super large arbor, saltwater construction so it's more than you'll ever need for freshwater, and it's by far the best value on a bar stock reel I've ever seen. I have one on my 9 weight and couldn't be happier.

Predel

usually just jiggle my lure in the water, no pattern, also watched a few pike in clear water take my lure after I just let it sit on the bottom. Also watch which way they swim off, sometimes if you cast in that direction they will take your lure the second or even the third time.

Last edited:

westwolfone

Founding Member
Founding Member
After last weekend I think White Bass would be fun on a fly.

They were hitting the crankbait when it was still on top of the water.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tailrace is a great spot for walleye, pike, cats, buffalo, carp, salmon and trout on flys, anything that imitates a wounded spelt on the surface

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is the tailrace very fishable from shore right now, what with the high water and high discharges?

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
It is a clusterf#ck I snagged one on a cast with an x-rap. Fighting a flying bird is..... Well... Interesting

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
8wt would be fine for most like flies unless you stap on one of those wet socks than you may want to go with a 9. My pike set up is 8. Works just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

BTW was out this weekend on a small lake one of the walleyes bellies was full of fresh water shrimp

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 162
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76