Come On Trappers.....I know you're out there!!!!!!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I started snaring this past winter and have found my new "Crack". Managed to get 37 coyotes, 5 foxes (2 released), 28 coons, 2 mink, 2 fishers (released), 1 stinker, and my own fingers 3 times. Some pics to spice it up..........

white-silver coyote 2 Feb 2015006.jpgCoyotes, 3 Feb 2015015.jpgSnared Coyote001.jpg

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice!

- - - Updated - - -

Did you skin them yourself or just sold them as is?

- - - Updated - - -

Or are you going to make coats and hats?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Skinned, fleshed, and put up. Sold the first batch for a hundo each. The next sale is in July I think. I have 17 up there for that one and another 18 I just sent up a week ago I think it was. Kind of looking into making a blanket of some sort out of raccoon next year. They aren't worth a whole lot, but holy coon skin cap batman, do they have thick fur on them. I figure if we lose power in February for two weeks straight, that blanket should keep us plenty warm.

The Mantis

Founding Member
Founding Member
It looks like you had a heck of a winter KDM! I'd like to give trapping a try if my life ever slows down a bit... Also, glad to see you on NDA!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool Beans

Are the fox not worth much that you let two go or just a thing you do?

Attachments

2.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg moose.jpg 3.jpg

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Cool Beans

Are the fox not worth much that you let two go or just a thing you do?

Fox are bringing 18-36 bucks this year. For that price, they are worth far more to me running around and are far prettier than any coyote out there. I could go into a lot of other personal reasons, but that right there is pretty much the bottom line for me. It's fairly easy to avoid catching foxes and I do as much as I can to nab the coyotes while letting the foxes roll on by.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
This is something I'd like to get into as well. Have a couple buddys that do it, and like it a lot. Once my house is all done, i'll have more time.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plenty of business from coyotes up your way. When you're ready, I'll be glad to share what little I know on the subject and can probably put you in contact with a much more experienced trapper closer to your neck of the woods without to much trouble.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope! Haven't had the pleasure yet. Maybe if he's a member of North Dakota Fur Hunters and Trappers Association I might run into him at a function some time.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
I'll have to ask. He is pretty hardcore into it, and one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fox are bringing 18-36 bucks this year. For that price, they are worth far more to me running around and are far prettier than any coyote out there. I could go into a lot of other personal reasons, but that right there is pretty much the bottom line for me. It's fairly easy to avoid catching foxes and I do as much as I can to nab the coyotes while letting the foxes roll on by.

How about the Fishers?? They off limit in ND?

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nope! ND only has about a week long season and we caught ours after the season closed. Releasing one is quite the shetshow I tell you. Them things are like mini wolverines. Lots of teeth, claws, and attitude to back'em up. We managed to get'em loose though. It wasn't a very dignified or macho evolution, but we got the job done without bleeding.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe theres a season on fishers. Only 10 or so can be taken and then the season closes. My two cousins (brothers) are some coyote grim reapers. Those guys run through a couple hundred each every winter. Many fall at the hand of their rifles but I believe they trap a bunch too. They've won that national calling championship a couple times. Fishing is easier.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Releasing live animals brings a funny story to mind. Friend absolutely hated taking cats out of foot holds. He always tried to do the right thing if it was within possible range of it being someone's pet. Said he carried a big heavy parka to throw over the cat so hecould fight with it. One he lets out fairly close to a highway. He’s remaking his set just over the top of a ridge and KABOOM……….Cat got whacked!

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
KDM, good on you for trying to release the foxes. They are very pretty and can be hilarious to watch sometimes. I would eventually like one to put on the wall but am very content with just seeing them.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_20141219_122338242.jpgIMG_20150111_215250916_HDR.jpgIMG_20141230_202650559.jpgIMG_20150207_085828180.jpgIMG_20150227_203304221_HDR.jpg I was able to take 25 yotes 7 fox and a coon this last winter. Even my kids get in on the action of checking the trap line. The one pic is of KDM with his first batch of fur for the year.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Next year it's going to be redonkulous!!!! Watch out coyotes, here we come!!!!

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to get into snaring coyotes as I have more people call me to come get em than I can call most the time and figured snaring would put more numbers up for me. Only downside is I travel for work and generally gone during the week. What is your kill ratio in your snares. If a guy could set em to kill I would feel better about not checking them during the week. I may need your assistance KDM as I have only trapped and it's been a long time but would love to get into the snaring game and I'm sure a lot of land owners would be happy also.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'd like to get into snaring coyotes as I have more people call me to come get em than I can call most the time and figured snaring would put more numbers up for me. Only downside is I travel for work and generally gone during the week. What is your kill ratio in your snares. If a guy could set em to kill I would feel better about not checking them during the week. I may need your assistance KDM as I have only trapped and it's been a long time but would love to get into the snaring game and I'm sure a lot of land owners would be happy also.

PM me with your number. Maybe you'd like to come on down to the Fort, share some beers, and I'll show you what little I know as well as put you in contact with some other more experienced snaremen. It's much easier to hand you a snare, explain it, and tell you how to use it than it is to try to type it out. I can also explain the mistakes I made this year so you won't have to learn the hard way like I did. Just let me know how I can help.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80