Wild Turkey

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lovely Wife made the wild turkey I shot last night and it was a culinary delight to say the least. I was very very surprised at how tender and flavorful the meat was as I was expecting it to have the flavor and texture of the meat to be somewhere between asphalt and the liner of my combat boots based on what I heard from other hunters. That was DEFINITELY not the case. Here is what she did, in her words to her facebook buddy. I wish I had a picture of the finished bird. Julia Childs ain't got nothin' on my wife!!!!!

The turkey turned out great! I dried it off, slathered it with butter, seasoned in with seasoned salt, covered it with just over a lb of bacon strips, so very little meat was showing (skinned bird), then added sliced onion and celery around the turkey in the pan and in the cavity. This turkey didn't fit into my 24 lb turkey bag, so I placed it in a large roaster, added about 4 cups of water and covered it with alum foil, poked a couple holes in the top and baked it low in the oven at 325 degrees for 2 3/4 hrs (which was almost too long)... it came out very moist and flavorful! Kirk loved it!! I made gravy out of some of the stock, and reserved some of it for making more stock tomorrow out of the carcass. I would def do this again, in fact, Kirk is considering seriously about getting a fall turkey tag!....I may add some thyme or rosemary to the seasoned salt next time, to add a bit more flavor... but overall, I was very impressed. the lower cooking temp I believe help to keep it from getting tough.. the thighs and legs were a bit over done, which is why I think it was a bit over done, plus the internal temp was up to about 180, which is about 15 degrees too high, but it was still quite moist... just glad I didn't cook it any longer.... Let me know if you have any other questions... and thanks again for inviting Kirk along!!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Stupid Good!! That means I've been STUPID for not getting a turkey tag years ago......I'm such a fubblenutz sometimes!!!!!!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thats what I told u back in march when apps were due. Now that my son has his filled I should try to go get mine.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
The open faced hot wild turkey sandwich with mashed potatoes, gravy, and whole kernel corn I had for lunch today was NOT icky. When do fall turkey apps need to be in again???

huntorride365

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've never had tender wild turkey, maybe you got an odd one? That being said, the flavor always makes up for the toughness; flavor of a wild turkey is way better than any commercially raised turkey you will ever have. Legs are great brined and smoked.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Subscribed to this thread just to keep record of how she cooked it. Hats off to the chef!

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Subscribed to this thread just to keep record of how she cooked it. Hats off to the chef!

You won't regret keeping track of this recipe. My wife can really whip up some off the charts entree's. Before we got married she told me that if I killed it, she's figure out a way to cook it if I wanted her too. She meant every word of that and has 150 cook books to back it up. It's a wonder I don't weigh 400 lbs.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My lovely Wife made the wild turkey I shot last night and it was a culinary delight to say the least. I was very very surprised at how tender and flavorful the meat was as I was expecting it to have the flavor and texture of the meat to be somewhere between asphalt and the liner of my combat boots based on what I heard from other hunters. That was DEFINITELY not the case. Here is what she did, in her words to her facebook buddy. I wish I had a picture of the finished bird. Julia Childs ain't got nothin' on my wife!!!!!

The turkey turned out great! I dried it off, slathered it with butter, seasoned in with seasoned salt, covered it with just over a lb of bacon strips, so very little meat was showing (skinned bird), then added sliced onion and celery around the turkey in the pan and in the cavity. This turkey didn't fit into my 24 lb turkey bag, so I placed it in a large roaster, added about 4 cups of water and covered it with alum foil, poked a couple holes in the top and baked it low in the oven at 325 degrees for 2 3/4 hrs (which was almost too long)... it came out very moist and flavorful! Kirk loved it!! I made gravy out of some of the stock, and reserved some of it for making more stock tomorrow out of the carcass. I would def do this again, in fact, Kirk is considering seriously about getting a fall turkey tag!....I may add some thyme or rosemary to the seasoned salt next time, to add a bit more flavor... but overall, I was very impressed. the lower cooking temp I believe help to keep it from getting tough.. the thighs and legs were a bit over done, which is why I think it was a bit over done, plus the internal temp was up to about 180, which is about 15 degrees too high, but it was still quite moist... just glad I didn't cook it any longer.... Let me know if you have any other questions... and thanks again for inviting Kirk along!!

Pluck the blasted thing next time, give her more options to work with you lazy selfish SOB.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pluck the blasted thing next time, give her more options to work with you lazy selfish SOB.

We both sat there looking at the whole bird trying to figure out what to do with it and how to cook it and she requested that it be skinned out. I try my best to deliver the goods to the cook EXACTLY the way she wants them. That old saying of "If mama ain't happy........." is pretty much how I roll.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
She also makes a mean oatmeal raisin cookie!! KDM that was kind of a request for next time i stop ha!!

Just tell me when you're in the neighborhood and I make the request on bended knee.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74