Shore fishing set up

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried quite a few times over the last several years to shore fish around Bismarck on the river. I set up what I assume is a lindy rig type of thing. I usually use a minnow for bait. Hook the bell up to the pole. I have had very little success usually only getting a fish when I am reeling in to check the bait. What might I be doing wrong. Would you be willing to describe your favorite set-up for shore fishing? Thanks.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I go muddin' I tend to stick and move. If the fish are there, they usually hit in the first 15 to 30 minutes. If I don't get bit, I move. If I catch a fish within that time frame, that tells me that the fish are there, and I just have to figure out what they want. Then I will stick and stay and make'em pay. I am not a big fan of the bait and wait game. IMO there are too many things that can go wrong with your bait. Example, the minnow may find a crevice between two big rocks where game fish can't get at it. Mud and sediment carried by currents can quickly cover a bait completely hiding it from fish. I like to run a jig most of the time, but am not afraid to pitch a crank or run a bobber rig either. Let the fish tell you what they want. With these tactics I know my bait isn't hidden and is available to the fish. These trends have served me well in the Sheyenne, Missouri, Maple, and Red rivers throughout my fishing life. Good Luck!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tend to use a floating jig when I shore fish. That's my dead stick with the bell on it. Then I typically cast cranks or jigs. Whatever floats your boat err, shore. Did you make it out the other week? My friend and I didn't get back til 10 p.m. and he stuck me with cleaning the fish.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
In heavy current your typical Lindy rig with a sliding weight can be a major pain in the ass. If im using bait in current i like pyramid sinkers, 1.5 to 3 oz will hold in most currents and not letting the sinker slide keeps the bait where i want it. u run 2 or 3 floaters on the harness too to keep my baits up if needed

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did get out on Friday night. I was at Heskett from 8-10 and got two nice eaters. Both male and very healthy.

I tend to use a floating jig when I shore fish. That's my dead stick with the bell on it. Then I typically cast cranks or jigs. Whatever floats your boat err, shore. Did you make it out the other week? My friend and I didn't get back til 10 p.m. and he stuck me with cleaning the fish.

fullrut

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the small tributary I hit in early summer I use a standard lindy rig with crawlers. 4-6' long, adjust the position of the float for bait height. I use a slip bobber with a stop set quite high just as a strike indicator. It's usually less than 4' of water where I fish. I've found by moving the float, I can get the bait into different "zones". Too deep, and I catch catfish, suckers and carp. Too high and I'm into the goldeyes. Find the sweet spot in between and I catch walleyes.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Pitching jigs and cranks for this guy. At the lake sometimes ill throw a floating lindy out there and kick back and relax. Shore fishing has a real nostalgia for me. Some fond memories.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Pitching jigs and cranks for this guy. At the lake sometimes ill throw a floating lindy out there and kick back and relax. Shore fishing has a real nostalgia for me. Some fond memories.

I tend to consume lots and lots of blue num nums when I do this, so I try to avoid it if possible. When I can't..........I let someone else drive to the lake. LOL!!!

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Throw a night crawler out on the bottom, stick a close pin on the line a couple feet from rod tip to see the bites better, kick back in the golf cart with a few cold ones!!

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go over to Dakota Tackle since your in Bismarck. Get the flat weights, they will lay right on the bottom pretty well. Be careful not to cast too far out into the current. If the river is flowing to your left, dont cast straight out, cast it angeled out to the right to adjust for current. Use a floater of some type on your deadstick. You'll find a nice selection down there. I can't remember the owners name there but he will help you get all rigged up, he's the a really great guy.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wade Anderson. Be ready to talk.

Attachments

61dc7t+2-3L._AC_UL320_SR224,320_.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116