Gunsmith

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anybody know who might be able to build a stock for a Savage 340a 30/30?
Inherited Dad's old 30/30 and the stock is broke so for sentimental reasons I'm looking at getting it redone.

deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you both. SDMF, I believe that is exactly what I need!

realdeals

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a licensed importer, a man used somebody elses services but then came looking me up because a beautiful rifle he had bought overseas came to the states in two pieces. One piece from the reciever tang back and the other foward. The stock was in two pieces. Given that this is dad's old .30-30, maybe keeping his stock with all it's history of marks, nicks and dings might be of value to you. Brownells sells an extremely good product called Acraglas Gel. That stuff comes with release agent, dye and good instructions. Keep every bit of any chips and pieces to be put back into the break as best possible. Elsewhere at Brownell's, if you need or want them, are stock pins. A stock pin, lathered in Acraglas, imbedded into holes drilled between the two pieces of stock, will hold that break together forever. Most times, you don't even need the pins Acraglas is so strong. Mix the different dyes correctly and you can match the joint with any areas of wood filled with Acraglas, just about perfectly. Brownell's also sells checkering tools to match existing checkering if that is where the stock is broken. I recut the existing checkering right across the Acraglass and the break virtually disappeared. All with the original stock and less than $50 worth of materials from Brownell's. Areas under the buttplate for example, can be used to scrape wood fibers to mix with the Acraglas to make your own wood filler from the same wood. While a replacement stock certainly will restore the gun to action, it may not restore its sentimental value... it could erase it. Plus, the original stock is inlet and fit to the rifle, something that will have to be done to a new stock. Any stock that is listed as a "drop-in" replacement simply doesn't have the fit your old gun had and getting it fit costs $$$.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 111
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 69