Goose fajitas

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey fellas just wanted to share a recipe.

now I often experiment with big geese cuz let's face it.....they ain't that good. But here's what I did.

soaked em in salt water 2 nights

trimmed the breast in like 1/4" strips ( made sure all meat had no bb"s ) etc

threw them in a slowmcooker with 2 packets of mckormick fajita seasoning (I had roughly 1.5# meat) so seasoning was for 2#.

Used 1 large onion, 1 green pepper, 1 red pepper.

low in slowmcooker for 8 hrs. Enjoyed over warm flour tortillas with spicy seasoned corn, sour cream, cheese, taco sauce and spicy salsa......

freaking ng fantastic and washed it down with a mic golden draft!

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds good I might have to try that. I think I would cook them on the grill instead just searing sides so they would be med rare.

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm sure that would taste fine too. I was after the quick meal after work so I figured what the hell. If it taste like chit I'll throw it out I was pleasantly suprised how tender it was and the corn salsa made it fantastic

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sounds good. I like geese, esp off the grill like Kickemup said. Nice though to walk through the door and have a meal waiting. Guy I hunted with in Ohio would cut the meat in strips, salt, pepper, garlic and cover with Dr. Pepper and cook in crock pot. Drizzle with melted red raspberry jam.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
We do this with duck in September. Get birds on ice right away, followed by breasts on salt brine for a few hours. Because we breast them out and don't hang on to the skin, we sear it in bacon grease. Then finish it with fajita seasoning, add smoked pepper jack cheese and toasted ciabatta bun. of course we have to have a few beers while we're cooking too. It's probably the most satisfying meal I have all year.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fowl are best cleaned ditch style. I do it all the time, then off for fajitas and margaritas at the diso!

jdinny

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have used duck and goose about anyway I can think and stumbled on a thread at nodakoutdoors of all places and was like what the hell I have some in salt brine right now lets try this and again pleasantly surprised. id say the longest part was cutting the goose up and making sure no bb's were in them. I like the cibatta bread suggestion will have to try that. the best part was the wife about hit the floor when I told her it was goose after she ate 2 of them.

keep the recipes coming for those of us who chase geese the whole year we can never have enough recipes.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Goose sandwich spread:

Simmer 2 goose breast is water with a quartered onion, carrot and some celery until very tender, remove and cool and save broth. Shred/chop meat and add:
1 small onion diced fine
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup mayo
1 cup shreded smoked cheddar
1-2 jalapenos, minced
2 T grated horseradish
Couple drops fav hot sauce
Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Combine all and add broth and or more mayo to get desired consitency. Best after a few hours in fridge. Like it on a good rye, extra horseradish and some lettuce. Take a few to the blind and you will always be made welcome to hunt.

- - - Updated - - -

Goose bombs:

Slice a goose breast into 1/2" slices. Marinate overnight in fav marinade.

1 sweet onion, sliced
fresh poblano, jalapeno or bell pepper, cut in chunks similar in size to goose slices
Fresh shrooms- portabellas work well.

Alternate goose slices with veggies and wrap in bacon, thin bacon works best, completly and secure with 2 skewers. Repeat until ingredients are used. Cook indirect for about 10 minutes and then move over medium high coals or burner to crisp bacon, about 5 min per side. I like to brush them with my jalapeno jelly those last few minutes....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 134
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 106
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 75