No UND/North Dakota option on UND nickname ballot with update on voting process

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
A mid-October vote to pick a new UND nickname will not include an option for those favoring the UND/North Dakota option.

In a news release issued today, UND announced there will be five options for the university’s nickname: Fighting Hawks, Nodaks, North Stars, Roughriders and Sundogs.

“In deciding the final list of names to include in the final vote, I have reviewed the recommendations of the Nickname Committee, the additional input received from a recent student poll, and input from many other individual students (including student athletes), faculty, staff, alumni and community members who have contacted me,” retiring UND President Robert Kelley said in the release. “I have considered all this input carefully and, in determining the final voting list, have concluded that it is in the best long-term interest of the University not to use ‘North Dakota’ as the university’s official nickname.”
Since the NCAA threatened sanctions and the old Fighting Sioux nickname was retired in late 2012, the school has played simply using an interlocking "UND" logo, going by either UND or North Dakota. In September 2014, the school began taking steps toward picking a new nickname, and in July, the nickname committee forwarded the five names to be placed on the ballot.
“As I have noted many times, North Dakota is not a nickname — it is a reflection of our pride in who we are. We have been North Dakota — UND — for more than 130 years, and we always will be,” Kelley said in the release. “I respect and support the process the committee used, and the extensive public input they gathered. In making this decision, I also respect their final recommendations.”
In June, Kelley announced he will retire no later than Jan. 15, 2016, and the North Dakota University System has formed a presidential search committee to identify candidates to succeed Kelley.
In the past several months, several groups have criticized Kelley’s leadership and the nickname selection process. Last Saturday, a group held a public rally to encourage Kelley to allow the next president to determine the new nickname.
Voting ProcessUND said the voting process will be conducted only online for about one week in mid-October. A specific date has not been set.
It will be open to current UND students, faculty and staff, UND retirees, alumni and donors, and current season ticket holders for UND athletics. To be eligible, current students must be enrolled as of Sept. 30. Donors and season ticket holders are eligible if they’ve donated or purchased tickets by Monday.
The release, issued at about 8:20 this morning, said eligible voters will receive an email with voting instructions shortly before the voting period begins. Current UND students, faculty and staff will receive the emails at their UND email address. Alumni, donors, retirees and all current season ticket holders must confirm their emails through a process, which will be announced.
Eligible voters who fall into more than one of the above categories — such as a staff member who is also an alumnus — may only vote once, and any identified multiple votes will be voided.
Qualtrics, a third-party survey technology provider, will conduct the online voting process, according to UND.
UND said Kelley received extensive input about who should be allowed to vote.
“One important consideration in the decision is the importance of verifying voter identity to prevent fraud,” the release said. “Each eligible voter’s identity and connection to UND will be confirmed.”
Nickname selectionFor the first time since beginning the process to pick a new nickname last fall, UND provided details on how the public vote would unfold.
UND will assume one of five nicknames in the public vote if one of the proposed names receives a majority, or more than 50 percent, of the votes.
If no single nickname receives more than 50 percent, there will be a runoff vote between the two names with the most votes from the initial round, according to the release.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
This is going to get uglier than it was already. Kelly is a complete ass! My kid is up there and the students are PISSED.

You

Founding Member
Founding Member
who is he to sit there and tell everyone that the basic UND name is not in the best interest of the college?!

i hope he doesnt have a future in politics. he obviously doesnt care what the majority think ORRRRR he thinks he's smarter

oh, and why not let ANY nd taxpayer vote?! wth

Last edited:

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey, you all know the SBoHE hired this guy to 'fix' their problem. Kelley is nothing more than a puppet for the Board. He's doing what they've wanted the past seven years and now he's capping it off with this final action before heading to the golden parachute of retirements. You cannot do anything about the Board of Higher Education, either! They are that fourth branch of government accountable to nobody.

I sit and laugh because I saw this in writing weeks ago as Dr. Kelley said he would 'consider' the change. Pffft, yeah right.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I never attended UND and I don't consider myself of fan of UND sports but this shit pisses me off to no end. **** those *******.

Fracman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a feeling there will be a lot of women's hockey season tickets sold between today and Monday since they are only $60

Brian Renville

Founding Member
Founding Member
who is he to sit there and tell everyone that the basic UND name is not in the best interest of the college?!

i hope he doesnt have a future in politics. he obviously doesnt care what the majority think ORRRRR he thinks he's smarter

oh, and why not let ANY nd taxpayer vote?! wth

Sound like about every other "successful" politician out there right now. Keep handing out those liberal arts degrees there mr president.

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Typical of these college "elites". Say you're going to be open about everything and let the people decide, then when you find out they disagree with you, assume you know better and do what you planned to do in the first place anyway. Can't wait for someone to start the next petition for a statewide vote or Legislative intervention. This issue has a lot of very strong feelings from all sides. To Obama us (promise one thing, do the total opposite) is going to cost the university's sports programs donation dollars. There is nothing wrong with leaving it as just North Dakota until the people of the state are really ready for a new nickname. It's quite clear the large majority of stakeholders aren't ready yet. Waiting costs the university NOTHING. Going against the will of the people will cost them dearly. But then, like he really gives a $hit. He'll be gone and patting himself on the back to his grave thinking how wonderful he is.

It'd be nice to think that the new Chancellor would be more open minded and say let's wait a bit here until the people are ready and wanting a new nickname. But we know the only way that's going to happen is if the Governor or our elected leaders give him a do it or else directive.

Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on your way out Mr. Kelley.

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of makes me laugh how the students at one university get the administration to back down on saggy pants and everyone calls out the administration for being weak. Then at UND, everybody thinks the administration should cave to the students. How many of my fellow NDAers have sat through an athletics meeting at UND? How many of you have been the President? Now, how many of you have run a family or a business and had to actually make the tough decisions? Were they always popular? I bet not, but you made the best decision for your entity based on what information you had, even if it was unpopular. Ultimately, the decision not to include "North Dakota" as a nickname option is the right one based on what the NCAA is parlaying to UND. It may not be popular, but popular is very rarely right. So quit throwing Kelley under the bus. His career and professional accomplishment led to his position at UND. If you want the job, it will be open shortly. Feel free to apply.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
we can only blame ourselves, we had a chance to get rid of the SBOHE and we pissed it down our leg

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kind of makes me laugh how the students at one university get the administration to back down on saggy pants and everyone calls out the administration for being weak. Then at UND, everybody thinks the administration should cave to the students. How many of my fellow NDAers have sat through an athletics meeting at UND? How many of you have been the President? Now, how many of you have run a family or a business and had to actually make the tough decisions? Were they always popular? I bet not, but you made the best decision for your entity based on what information you had, even if it was unpopular. Ultimately, the decision not to include "North Dakota" as a nickname option is the right one based on what the NCAA is parlaying to UND. It may not be popular, but popular is very rarely right. So quit throwing Kelley under the bus. His career and professional accomplishment led to his position at UND. If you want the job, it will be open shortly. Feel free to apply.

You are not seeing the forest through the trees. It's not about making a tough decision. It's about keeping alumni happy.

Based on your logic I doubt you've run a business because this decision is going to cost the university millions of dollars in alumni donations.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think UND NoDiks has a nice ring to it. HAHAHA

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
President of the Board, Kathy Neset, announces she wants to 'review' the decision. WTF is a board member doing here? Does the SBoHE already know what the decision was and what was going to be announced to the media/students?????

How can SOOOOO many of these people bumble over each other with such disgrace?

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
President of the Board, Kathy Neset, announces she wants to 'review' the decision. WTF is a board member doing here? Does the SBoHE already know what the decision was and what was going to be announced to the media/students?????

UND grads?

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree...the way this thing has been handled from day one is a disgrace.

Camper...trying to have a conversation here. Go back to FBO to play those games.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I agree...the way this thing has been handled from day one is a disgrace.

Camper...trying to have a conversation here. Go back to FBO to play those games.

I, along with 99.99% of North Dakotan's are so fucking sick of you whiny ass Sioux only name idiots. It's only a name, if it changes the sun still comes up tomorrow. Get over it and grow up. I can only imagine how much a pain in the ass you petulant children are to those who have to associate with you. As far as going to FBO, screw you, I thought this was the new improved site that we could share or say what we wanted to. If you are too hurt to hear the truth maybe you need to leave. HAHAHAHAHA

Marbleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Camper, congratulations you sound just like every other PC proponent. If you are sick of hearing about it then why in the hell would you click on a link which is clearly talking about it? Warren, I think you are missing your baseball.

camper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Camper, congratulations you sound just like every other PC proponent. If you are sick of hearing about it then why in the hell would you click on a link which is clearly talking about it? Warren, I think you are missing your baseball.

Were you one of the 20 at the rally? Even most und fans know when to move on. It's only still important a minority. Congratulations to you for living in the past.

freiday31

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, I guess only UND fans are loyal to nicknames. You know, when Marquette University won the National Championship in MEn's Basketball, they were the Warriors. Then they changed their name. Too bad their athletic department folded due to loss of millions of dollars in pulled donations. Oh, wait a second, that didn't happen did it. What you seem to not be seeing through the trees, is that donations were supposed to fall off the earth when the name was retired. Oh, wait, that didn't happen. Fundraising is at an all time high and they are building new athletic facilities. Now you want me to believe that the same group who wined through everything 5 years ago is suddenly going to man up and stop donating? They were going to quit going to games too. Tickets still seem to sell pretty fast. Haven't seen a decrease in attendance, have you? Just like people were going to quit driving when they had to wear seatbelts. What you seem to be ignoring is that the business that directly relates to the nickname, athletics, is really only a sub-division of the NCAA. And the business has more power than the people who are afraid of change. Just keeping it real.

You are not seeing the forest through the trees. It's not about making a tough decision. It's about keeping alumni happy.

Based on your logic I doubt you've run a business because this decision is going to cost the university millions of dollars in alumni donations.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75