Good fixed blade for kids

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
What sorts of fixed broadheads are you guys using for your kids/wives/girlfriends that aren't pulling much weight? My 8 year old is starting to get dialed in and I think he may be ready at some point this fall to take a deer. We've only shot field points with him so far, so looking for decent broadheads that will fly close to the field heads and will punch a decent hole. I've only shot mechanicals so don't know much about fixed stuff. Thanks.

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
Montec, 4 blade muzzy should fly very good and leave deer good and dead.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats a kid need to pull to deer hunt? 35#? Id avoid something like a slick trick for kids, they need to penetrate before they start to cut. I took a kid out and got him a deer quite a while ago and he used some 85gr muzzy heads I think. You want something that will cut on contact and Id select a 2 blade over a 3 or 4 blade, again for better penetration.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would go with something that is cut on contact. You will get way better penetration. The Montec or striker would be my choice.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife pulls 38#'s and had a pass through with a 100 gr slick trick. I understand your guy's reasoning, but I've seen the other side as well.

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
image.jpgAnything coc with sharp blades. My 9 yr old is shooting slick trick vipers or Magnus stingers would be two great options.

Last edited:

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy is pulling 35# now, will definitely be looking into either the slick tricks or the montecs. Both look pretty good, didn't realize they cost as much or more than mechanicals. Little SOB will need to get a job.:cool:

Rizzo

Founding Member
Founding Member
The steel force sabres are a serrated two blade with bleeder blades and the will make a mess out of a deer.

Any fixed blade that penetrates 10 inches is just going to turn the insides to jello with every step the deer takes.

Stay away from shuttle t locks as they take a ton of kinetic energy to make any kind of decent penetration.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Whats a kid need to pull to deer hunt? 35#? Id avoid something like a slick trick for kids, they need to penetrate before they start to cut. I took a kid out and got him a deer quite a while ago and he used some 85gr muzzy heads I think. You want something that will cut on contact and Id select a 2 blade over a 3 or 4 blade, again for better penetration.
Hit the nail on the head. Muzzy 2-blade broadheads are effective penetrators, inexpensive, and can be resharpened.

- - - Updated - - -

No wait, Magnus broadheads, not muzzy.

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hard to beat an 85 gr magnus stinger for kids. Plus if they shoot it into something and ruin it Magnus will always send you a new one at no cost!

kids magnus stinger85.jpg

wes bow nontyp.jpg

Last edited:

Prestige Archery

Founding Member
Founding Member
id go with either montec's or shuttle t locks. my girlfriend has shot 2 deer so far with the t locks and blew through both them.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 136
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 77