Have yard infested with dandelions

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got them pretty bad, I want them gone, weed and feed doesn't work, other than kill with chemical, I have thought about kill the whole yard grass and all and start over. I would appreicate serious help on the matter, getting real sick of how infested my yard is getting.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
As it's so dry here they haven't started yet . Friend of mine swears by this but I have not tried it yet :

Here’s what you’ll need:
1/2 gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar
1/4 c table salt
1/2 tsp Dawn liquid dish soap
Directions:
Mix ingredients in a spray bottle.
Spray weeds thoroughly.
How it works:
The Dawn dish washing soap strips the weed of it’s protective oils so that the vinegar can work.

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Guess its worth a try......I'll let ya know how it comes out for me...was gonna snap a picture of the yard....its ugly

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, weed and feed does not work in my experience either.
What I have found works best is to spray in the fall. Sometime in late September or early October. Don't wait too long, or the weeds will be dormant, and your efforts wasted. You may have to spray both spring and fall to get ahead of it.
I use the generic pasture 2-4-D (I forget the name) from Fleet Farm. I also mix in some Ortho clover killer. I got about 2 acres, so I use a 20 gal pull-behind sprayer. Just don't get it on any young trees.
What 'Matthews' suggested above sounds interesting, but is not really practical on 2 acres.
It will take a year or two to get ahead of the problem. It's also an on-going battle since you generally can't control what your neighbors are doing (or not doing). Mine to the west has about a jillion of them on about 4 acres, so I never expect to be completely free of them, but I've improved to about 95% dandelion free over the past two years.

NDwalleyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, weed and feed does not work in my experience either.
What I have found works best is to spray in the fall. Sometime in late September or early October. Don't wait too long, or the weeds will be dormant, and your efforts wasted. You may have to spray both spring and fall to get ahead of it.
I use the generic pasture 2-4-D (I forget the name) from Fleet Farm. I also mix in some Ortho clover killer. I got about 2 acres, so I use a 20 gal pull-behind sprayer. Just don't get it on any young trees.
What 'Matthews' suggested above sounds interesting, but is not really practical on 2 acres.
It will take a year or two to get ahead of the problem. It's also an on-going battle since you generally can't control what your neighbors are doing (or not doing). Mine to the west has about a jillion of them on about 4 acres, so I never expect to be completely free of them, but I've improved to about 95% dandelion free over the past two years.

Amine 400.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
I spray mine with ortho i think the green bottle. anyways i have a sprayer that attatches to the hose i put in x-amount of chemical and set sprayer at the setting the bottle says, dandelions usually gone in a week they start wilting up in a day or two along with the thistle. My yard tends to get neglected as most of may through august i am at the lake, so this is my temporary mend.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nitrogreen treats ours 5 times a season, great looking lawn, and weed free for 8 yrs running. What they charge I couldn't do it any cheaper myself.
call them up, they will usually give you a free Assessment.

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
quincept, trimec would be 2 easy ones to spray. they come in small containers 1/2 gal and gal. low use rate 2oz/gal of water. clarity which will work well is extremely tough with volitization and will kill the mrs. flowers if there are any up. be careful with that if you use it, make sure there is some wind that is not shifty, dont spray it under 5mph but probably not over 10. 2-4d will only do a so,so job on spring dandilions. any chemical with dicamba and 2-4d is what you are looking for, btw clarity is dicamba, just more volitile than quincept or trimec. also might need a couple doses this spring. the best time to kill them is in the fall weather you see them or not next fall spray your whole yard, next spring you will know where you skipped.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
No matter what chemical I try I usually don't get much of a kill in the spring or summer, It sets them back so they don't go to seed but one pass in the late fall usually kills every dandelion big enough to die.

Norske

Founding Member
Founding Member
2-4-D is a synthetic growth hormone for broad leaf plants. Grass doesn't use this hormone, so isn't affected by 2-4-D. Since it makes the plant grow so fast it starves to death, it's not of any use if you've already fertilized.
Spray your whole lawn with Weed-Be-Gone (mixed about 33-50% stronger than directed), then re-spray again about 2 weeks later. After you've gotten a good kill you can fertilize. Remember, weed seeds don't all germinate in their first spring. some lay dormant for a few years before sprouting. It will be an on-going battle.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74